a boiling sound?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, after two stops at the mini market with a stop at home between, I park the bike and hear of all things a boiling sound. I check the over flow and it sounds like it coming from there but the overflow is not boiling. Last time I checked temp on the dash I think it said only 98F. The fan came on once as I was parking the stop at home between, but just that once. Temp was normal so why did I hear boiling coming from the overflow? Anyone ever hear boiling when the bike isn't overheating?

~O~

could be just air being pushed out or it might be a blown head gasket. If it continues I'd suspect the head gasket.

Keep an eye on the engine temp, if it is a blown head gasket the engine temp will usually run higher than normal.
By higher I mean where it's normal range just over 1/4 gauge it would be running 1/2 and higher and spending more time up there.

Its possible the radiator cap seals are done and time to replace the cap.

I'd suspect the cap, too. Also, make sure the rubber hose/tube that goes down into the coolant tank hasn't fallen off. If it has, that would let coolant flow into the tank when hot, but not go back into the rad when it cools back down...it would be sucking air, which could cause the boiling sound when hot. Just a thought....

and....mine has run hotter this summer than it ever has before...well over 1/2 gauge, and the fan runs quite a while once I get home...but I never heard it boiling in the overflow tank. I could look at the tank, and SEE the coolant moving, but I never actually heard it...

Latest posts