A friend running another site is bowing out

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krakum1967

Reaction score
I don't know if many of you know of the site or the man that runs it, but I have been a member of another forum that was initially started as a source for information on Hyosung and many other smaller brands that do not have the best technical support, and slowly morphed over to a site that deals with riders who basically enjoy riding bikes of all brands, new or old.

Alternative Cruisers or ACD was founded by a man by the name of Bill Ramby. He live in Pennsylvania, and started ACD 7 or 8 years ago. I have been an active member there since I got back into riding in 2008 after the kids were older, and after I remarried. I was a single dad from my first marriage (full time, the ex just up and split, no good byes nothing, she left us the house, the kids, the dogs and everything to start a new life in Florida) so I gave up riding in 1996 to concentrate on single parenthood, and frankly, I needed the resources so the bikes were sold, and I did not want to take any risks that would put the kids back in her hands. At any rate. Bill has been running and managing ACD with a group of close friends selected as admins free of charge with no donations for many years and has kept a top notch site that is actually quite highly rated in search engines. He has always refused to charge fees or ask for donations as he believed in the spirit of the free exchange of information on bikes that are difficult to support with limited resources for buyers.

He is stepping down, and is turning the site over to any interested member who is willing to take on the site, its data, and the management of the data. If there are no takers, he is shutting the site down. Thankfully it seems that there are a number of interested people so I think the site will stay up, but like many of us feel, the new "owner" should take donations to keep ads off the site, like you do here.

I am only bringing this up in case any of you know him and his work. He is one heck of a nice guy who gave our little community a great deal of time, effort, and resources. I wish him the best in whatever endeavor he decides to move on to next. If you know him, or know the group, give him a shout out. I for one owe him a great deal in karma debt. I do not think I would be doing the work I do on bikes today without the assistance of that site and its many wise experts. It has been a great group to be a part of for the last 6 years, and I only wanted to let you guys know in case you know him or know the site, and want to wish him well.

well i dont know him but its obvious we would get along ....cant agree with the forums that have the choosen ones as the main ingredient of there agendas ... i wish him well ... and thanks for bringing up the fact there are others like us ....

Yea I tried the other GL places, but this one is more like my old ACD home. Anyway, good guy that ran a great site. ANd he deserves the well earned rest. To work as an IT contractor and maintain a place like ACD or here in spare time with ones own resources is an endeavor most people would not undertake. Its just sad to see him step down, and he will be missed.

I sometimes wonder if forums like these may be a dying resource as the younger generations get more spoiled and used to information handed to them without working for it.
Many are saying things like "it's too complicated" and "what is a forum?"
Evidently they're being brainwashed by dumbed down sites like facebook, texting, and 'instant' messaging.
Forum communities like these, to me, are becoming even more valuable.

Latest posts