A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
...I stop every evening before I get to the house to fill the tank on the 1100. Last nite, instead of suffering the embarrassment of the steam engine starting up after fueling, I decided to leave it running. I popped it up on the center stand, went inside and pre-paid. Got back out, opened the shelter lid, removed the fuel filler cap, and heard the usual "whoosh" of air. As soon as I did, the engine stumbled, and dang near died instantly! I had to quickly grab the throttle and roll it on to keep the engine running. I was afraid it might not start back up if it died, since this has never happened before.... and I dint know what the heck was happenin anyway. A few seconds later it started idling "normally", so I started pumping the fuel....then it stumbled again, almost dying. I be thinkin "WTF???". I had to keep my hand on the throttle to make sure it wasn't going to die on me, and went about filling the tank the rest of the way. Once finished, I hopped on, popped down off the c-stand and off I go...no problems. Made it home with no further incidences.
I'll add that on the ride home(before stopping for fuel), the bike was runnin as good as ever. I had to get on it pretty hard a couple of times, and if it weren't for the backrest, I think I would've fallen right off the back, it accelerated so hard. It was like it had a turbo or something all of a sudden. I remember thinking at the time "This thing is runnin waay better than it usually does under the same circumstances"....or at least if sure felt like it.

It's s'posed to rain today, so I dint ride, but I'm askeered now....not sure if the "Turd" is gunna leave me stranded somewhere.
Anyone ever had this happen, or have any idears?

Hmmmm....... :headscratch:

My first thought is the tank is under way too much vacuum, possibly from the gas cap not venting (other than the normal whoosh).

Adding gas to the tank causes the engine to stumble sounds to me like large rust particles being shoved around (by the incoming gas) and clogging the intake screen. Flipping the throttle cleared it a bit, but you might also have cleared the screen with the incoming gas enough to give you some pep!

usual whoosh is normally pressure being released. Normally cap vent is one way allowing air in not out. Gas at the station will be cooler than the gas in the tank. Fuel filter may be partly restricted so release of pressure could have reduced flow from the pump enough to cause the stumble. Cooler fuel may have reversed the process making it a bit rich causing the second stumble. I'd check the fuel filter.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162832#p162832:1kv8w9jm said:
joedrum » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:24 pm[/url]":1kv8w9jm]
just proves every once in awhile the bike screws up and really makes power :smilie_happy:

:smilie_happy: :BigGrin: :smilie_happy: That's what I was tinkin! Stoopid bike... :builder: :hihihi:

slabghost":1kv8w9jm said:
..Fuel filter may be partly restricted so release of pressure could have reduced flow from the pump enough to cause the stumble.

But...but...this was instantaneous....the carbs have fuel while idling, so I can't see them immediately starving for fuel by removing the cap. I have a clear fuel filter, so I can take a gander at it when I get home and see if its time to clean it. With my stuff...anything is possible! :hihihi:

dan filipi":1kv8w9jm said:
I have one time way back experience a burst in power like you described.
Literally felt like more than 20% more power. Never have felt a repeat.

So I wasn't just imagining it, eh? Sure glad to hear that. Perhaps the "Turd" was just as frustrated as I was at having to sit in traffic for so long, and it decided to get me the hell outta there.... :yes: :BigGrin:

Thanks guys! :eek:k:

Did you notice if the "whoosh" was suction or pressure? I don't know what difference either would make as far as an instantaneous change in engine idle...maybe if it was pressure, the air and gas fumes went straight into the air cleaner housing, causing a richer mixture...strange!

Latest posts