ABS Adhesive for Fairing repairs, Help appreciated!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
I kept trying to get access to ABS cement for fairing repairs but the only pipe solvent that we have here in Oz that I can find is for PVC. I managed to get my hands on some Hempel ( European ) ABS adhesive which is quite thick and dries fully after a couple of days but is not bonding to the plastic at all. This is not a solvent and doesn't distort or melt the plastic in any way. I feel that I need to rough up the surface or take away the chemical shine off the surface to be glued. I did expect it to bond to the clean broken surfaces but even that was a bust. Please let me know your advice on how to make this work ( Repairing ABS plastic )

Make your own. Just mix abs shavings or whole pieces with acetone. It takes a few hours to dissolve but you can mix it to your desired consistency. I just buy a piece of abs pipe for a source, but I have used old saddlebags for pieces too. Acetone is nasty stuff. It has the ability to penetrate skin right to the blood stream and carry disolvable substances with it. The liver gets a workout trying to remove it. It does a number on my hands. I mix it in a plastic mustard squirt bottle. It keeps for years. Just add a bit of fresh acetone when it gets too thick. The only other advice I'd give is to not try and put it on too thick. It can skin over and harden up leaving a liquid center that will bubble up in the first hot weather.

Got Legos? Legos are abs and will desolve in acetone..... and depending on what you are trying to fix depends on how to address it....

Attachments

• 20131105_134003.png
    20131105_134003.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 216
And the result...is..both hole on the left side were totally gone.. and most of their corners also...

Attachments

• cb face plate with cb.png
    cb face plate with cb.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 219
Here is the back side showing the not so nice finish.... the holes to the left were the ones missing .. the ones on the right are original just needing to be reinforced... and the two on the bottom middle were the intercom controls originally... just filled them in..

Attachments

• 20131105_134123-1.png
    20131105_134123-1.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_20131101_222559.jpg
    IMG_20131101_222559.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 216
Just go slow and give the layers time to dry... currently working on a broken small section of side panel on the lowers..this is non supported... and taking time..

I think what is missing is an acetone additive... but not knowing the chemical make up of the European glue not gonna recommend adding some to the mix..Check with hobby shops, boat shops, and rc clubs.. one of them might be a help in locating the cement... let ingredient is acetone... it causing the convincing and fusing action.... if just small cracks you can use a diabetic syringe to run some acetone along the crack..just take the tension off the crack a bit by using tiny drill bit at ends of the crack... and push and hold on place to keep it from popping back..... back side can be held by tape if you do this..

Thanks for all the great info. Any special volume of acetone or can it be like nail varnish/polish remover?

I don't have a recipe for the ratio. I have thought about using it as a " lock nut" by putting it on threads to see what it would do, or wouldn't. It It might act as a sealant, a locker and a antiseize all in one.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=104769#p104769:3pfl2xu2 said:
OldWrench » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:48 am[/url]":3pfl2xu2]
Have you considered a inexpensive plastic welder, they work pretty well once you get use to the heat range needed.
No such thing as an inexpensive plastic welder here in Oz unfortunately. I have tried my butane soldering iron with varying results, I would probably still uses it to initially hold the parts together but I like the idea of the fiberglass style repair to give it strength.

Oatley brand #30999 medium base black ABS cement. I have used it extensively with no failures at this point and I use the green woven drywall tape as reinforcement. The glue will adhere to but will not melt the tape giving a strong bond. The combo cement for all types of plastic pipe and connectors will not hold on Honda ABS parts for me. The Oatley will.

One option is to see if you can get the Vetter fairing repair kit spotted to you... it is on the Craig Vetter web site.. abs repair kit with patches and glue.....

Wes was kind enough to send me some ABS cement with some rubberised mesh so that I could start doing some repairs.
I started with my old Jumpstart pack that wasn't stolen but needed a new battery and some plastic repairs. I had tried repairing it with my ABS adhesive with out success..
Here are some photos of my efforts
The outside of the large repair
When I installed the new AGM I stretched the repairs and created a new crack. I will repair these from the outside and should once again have a great Jumpstart pack that I can use on heavy equipment.
I also repaired a crack in the CBR rear fairing/ beaver tail mount

Completed the external repairs to the Jumpstart pack
Full river HC20 AGM for the pack

Clean up of the Red CBR rack completed

Latest posts