An Oil Leak, Best way to fix - Stator Case

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

importcustomx

Reaction score
Hello gentleman,

I have a bit of an oil leak on my bike, only happens above 3,000 rpms. oil squeezes out.

The location of the leak is below (not my bike - I have a 85 gl1200 aspencade) :
8794059555_5182b912b4_b.jpg

What would cause this to happen, there must be a built up of pressure that is causing it to come out right there, i was going to take unbolt that, disconnect drive shaft and slide the case back, hopefully getting enough clearence to clean the cases and remove the gasket etc,

Does anyone have any insight or links where i can see possibilities on how

thanks guys!

If the leak suddenly started but the cover hasn't been off, I'd agree pressure is building there.
I don't think there's any passage there under oil pump pressure, hmm.
I'm thinkin plugged scavenger pump.

Someone else had a leak there, trying to remember what was done to fix it.

I think that's an engine out job to clean and replace the gasket properly.
Hold off for more ideas from the guys.

the 1200 stator has oil cooling pumped to it and obviously its drian is somewhat plug up ...causing enough pressure to leakout there .....

the only fix is this pluged up drain to be cleared ...I don't see that happening ..in what you were saying ...its a motor out fix for sure to get it and clutch drain cleared ...it obviously has some dirty grime and stuff in there from clutch especialy ...im rather sure this is it ...and whats going on

Hmm, ill have to wait a little bit then.
Thanks for those starters, i will keep those in mind, any other idea's?

I am going to seafoam and change the oil this weekend, maybe this seafoaming will take care of the potential clogs.

Seafoam....I guess but I'd try running with a 1/2 qt ATF in the oil if anything.

When my scavenger pump was clogged, I found bits of rubber and a old clutch rivet in the pickup tube.
No flush is going to do anything for that but I sure would give it a try first.

One way you can verify if there's a problem there is by removing the starter.
If oil pours out, there's a pump problem.

So after a few things i have resolved the issue.

I did a few things.

First, i checked the oil level, previous owner clearly was not a bike person.

He had almost a full quart of extra oil in there (seemed like that anyway) way past the full mark on the dipstick.
So that would definitely cause some serious pressure build up.

So a solid oil change was due, drained what i could, took her for a ride, brought her hot, drained that oil.

Moved onto emptying all those little crankcase breather boxes, one near the intake and one near the foot peg. Blew so much water and slug/crap out of those and the lines, it was amazing, dirty and disgusting.

Cleaned up the area where the leak would come out, and now i can cruise at 3-4000 rpms and not one issue.

Crazy.

But that issue has been :whip: :)

Next up, cleaning the carbs and syncing them up, my little 2500 rpm hesitation needs to go away!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82777#p82777:2oc44r3f said:
dan filipi » Tue May 28, 2013 11:04 am[/url]":2oc44r3f]Keep an eye on the oil level.
If it goes up, could gas or worse, coolant.
Consider this if your loosing any coolant and turn the fuel valve off when parked.

Sorry, i dont follow what you mean?

I will keep an eye on the oil level for sure, but i am positive the gentleman kept adding oil, mainly because he told me to check the oil with the dipstick screwed in. the dipstick should NOT be screwed in when checking the oil level.

and becuase it leaked he probably kept adding a little here and a little there, hope it didn't do much damage to the rings.

I think what Dan was trying to highlight is sometimes we don't worry as much when their appears to be plenty of oil in the crankcase. Sometimes this increase can be another problem, non sealing floats allowing raw fuel to find its way down and possible coolant leaks contributing to an increase in crankcase volume.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82793#p82793:1iwwk1t9 said:
Ansimp » Tue May 28, 2013 2:16 pm[/url]":1iwwk1t9]I think what Dan was trying to highlight is sometimes we don't worry as much when their appears to be plenty of oil in the crankcase. Sometimes this increase can be another problem, non sealing floats allowing raw fuel to find its way down and possible coolant leaks contributing to an increase in crankcase volume.
Yep :thank_you: