Another newbie question???

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert

Reaction score
I have only had 1000's they are what I'm familiar with. I'm thinking about an 1100.

Is there any year model 1100 considered to be the best overall?

Example...in the 1000's most consider the '75 to be the one to have.

Edit: I may have posted this in the wrong forum thread. If I did I apologize and would appreciate a moderator moving it where it belongs.

Hi Bert,
Welcome to the forum from Colorful Colorado.. :yahoo: :party: :yahoo:

My personal favorite for the 1100's is the 83 as there were several improvements like cast wheels and a fork brace that showed up that year.

I'm particularly fond of my '83I. I also have an '82S. I'm not very wing savy yet, maybe what I'm like'n is the difference between the Interstate and the Standard? But I think there is a world of difference between the two. I really like the comfort and roomy-ness of rideing 2 up on my '83 Intrstate and it obviously runs much smoother down the highway due to the gearing, but I like the way my '82 Standard handles rideing one up. Seems a bit more sporty. I guess when it comes down to it, what I have is two different bikes for two different purposes. I'd hate to let go of either.

hi bert when comes to 1100s ....80-81 1100s are geared real low at about 5000 rpm at 70 mph the 82 is geared about 4000rpm at 70mph and the 83 3600rpm at 70mph ....first gear is about the same all yrs and the big differenses is in fifth gear ratios ....the 83 has a different motor to transmission ratio that makes it even taller ....as for what goldwings are known for now as touring bikes the 83 is the first yr they realy went for it with the overdrive fifth gear....all yrs are great to me :mrgreen:

Depends some on how you like to ride.

The 80 and 81 have a bit lower gearing than the 82 and 83 which can be a big advantage if you like to carve up the twisties.
For this I'd look for an '81 Standard.

If you like to sit back and cruise at 70 then the '83 is the best model.
For this I'd look for a low mileage '83 Aspencade.

Just remember, the 83 has intergrated braking, which some people, including myself, dislike.

Emil":16l6l0lo said:
The foot pedal operates the back brake and one front caliper.
That could be cool. I think I read somewhere that Motoguzi came out with that feature some years ago. If memopry serves me the front and rear brakes could be applied with either the foot pedal or the hand brake on the bars.

I picked up an '81 standard today and another '77. Both pretty rough. Boy the fork tubes are huge compared to my '77 and '75 fork tubes. I would guess that they don't flex as much.

I'm wondering if i can swap the frontends and keep my spoke wheels? Anybody done this?

front forks and tree do swap with some small mods....but the spoked wheel is a one of a kind deal compared to comstars or other wing wheels .....iknow the speedo cable is on the other side and maybe disc offset is different....it is a beefier front end for sure ...ive got a 1100 81 front end with 83 wheels there was some small mods to get that to work ....

Hey I have an 83 and like it very much. I myself like the linked brakes but if that's the only thing you don't like about the 83 it is easy to convert to a more conventional set up as well.

Best of luck
Tom

I also ride a 83 I the first day or two it was strange with the brake setup but now i love it in those oh sh-- times :sensored: the intergrated braks keep the Wing in line and STOPS now don't have to think about how much rear brake or front brake to apply to keep it from locking!!!! I have even been able to brake hard when layed over in a corner, and keep of control her, :mrgreen: some times I get into the twistys and forget I'm riding a wing... :beg: I'ts just soooooo much fun, :music: rubbing case gaurds tells me to pull my head out of the clouds. :yahoo:

The '81 I picked up was not a naked Wing as I was told. A friend came by and made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I no longer have a GL1100.