Any Ideas on how to fix

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GILLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some trim on the fairing that I need to get your ideas on how the best way
you have found to re-attach it. What would you use to get it glued in place to stay,
or where to find new trim. The stuff at Autozone that I have found is smaller and works
for just above the headlight area, but is to small for the edge of the fairing.
(see pic below)

Any ideas would be appreciated. :Awe:

Attachments

• 0821110902.jpg
    0821110902.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 270
I used elmers ultimate high performance glue from home depot.
Its a thicker liquid which expands some as it cures
It has held this gold trim on for several years.

On yours you might want to heat and shape it with a hair dryer a bit tighter against the fairing before gluing.
Once glued keep it tightly in place for at least 24 hrs.

WP_000189.jpg

WP_000190.jpg

Good idea Dan.
Did you replace your trim with new? If you did can you tell me where
you picked up the trim. I wouldn't mind replacing with new.
I have got several areas that need replaced.
Thanks

Door edge trim should be bug enough but may come up short in length. Maybe an autobody repair shop can get you trim?

I got that trim from pep boys, they're an auto parts chain here. The stuff is made for car door edge protection and comes with an adhesive already on it but doesn't hold.
The original Honda bags and fender have a bare edge originally, I think it trims them out nice.

dan filipi":2vs9wogb said:
I got that trim from pep boys, they're an auto parts chain here. The stuff is made for car door edge protection and comes with an adhesive already on it but doesn't hold.
The original Honda bags and fender have a bare edge originally, I think it trims them out nice.

PepBoys is where I got the gold color I have now.
Yours turned out nice.
I'll also try the hair dryer to get it shaped and the glue to get her stuck on.
I"ll get some pics posted after I get it done.

Thanks all for the suggestions. :thanks:
Most Appreciated.

dan filipi":34aifl6y said:
I used elmers ultimate high performance glue from home depot.
Its a thicker liquid which expands some as it cures
It has held this gold trim on for several years.

On yours you might want to heat and shape it with a hair dryer a bit tighter against the fairing before gluing.
Once glued keep it tightly in place for at least 24 hrs.

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

Well, I got the trim repair done. Worked out really well.
The added glue did the job. I think I will continue on with some of the other areas. :thanks: for every ones help and ideas.
Sweet comes to mind.

Attachments

• 0831111720.jpg
    0831111720.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 211
I love doing this kinda thing, now put some around your windshield, trunk lid, and rear fender! I highly reccomened painting your front calipers red. What else...? I'll get back to you!

~O~

GILLT":3aha82qw said:
I have some trim on the fairing that I need to get your ideas on how the best way
you have found to re-attach it. What would you use to get it glued in place to stay,
or where to find new trim. The stuff at Autozone that I have found is smaller and works
for just above the headlight area, but is to small for the edge of the fairing.
(see pic below)

Any ideas would be appreciated. :Awe:
I used JB Weld, Tape in place, remove tape aftre a couple of hours i'll stay, but then I think it's one of the best products ever invented. I don't care what it is, I even repaired a hole in my '83 Goldwing gas tank once, never had anything I used it on ever give me a second thought. Skip