Any trick for a super froze caliper

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godservant007

Reaction score
Unlinked my brakes and in the process of rebuilding front calipers off of 81 to use for dual fronts. Left caliper went good, used c clamp to collapse it a little, wrapped it in a shop towel stuck the air air to it and POP. Right started the same, collapsed it just a little to get pistons moving, stuck the air to it..... nothing. Made a fitting from an old brake line left the air on it overnight 120psi still never budged.
Not really wanting to use my back brake or front brake cylinder to push it out, both are fresh rebuilds of questionable parts.

any tricks? products? ideas?

you got a greese gun ...open the end slip over bleeder ...and pump it out it wont shoot anywhere ive never seen it fail to pump one out...then clean it out with brake fluid and your set

See I knew I would find something I hadnt thought of, a lever grease gun can have pressures from 250 to 1500 psi. Now if the bleeder will open lol may have to take a soak in ATF first.
Thanks guys gonna give it a try.

I tried the grease gun on one and ended up shooting out the sides of the bleeder. Maybe my grease gun or the bleeder was a different size but I ended up using air pressure after a few days soaking with shots of pb blaster. That was before I knew about atf.

You can also remove the bleeder and screw a zerk fitting in a few threads for using the grease gun.

yes you have to open the greese gun end ...then once on the bleeder you have to tighten it down as hard as you can ...its not a pefect fit but good enough in all the times ive used it...what slab said is good too ...ive did it like that before too :mrgreen:

Quote.......... "a lever grease gun can have pressures from 250 to 1500 psi."

Just to clarify, a grease gun can be the most dangerous weapon in a mechanics toolkit, a pistol grip is capable of offering up to 3,000 psi, a lever action can go up to 9,000, that's why your bleeder went out Dan!

chilidawg":ltu2fz5j said:
Quote.......... "a lever grease gun can have pressures from 250 to 1500 psi."

Just to clarify, a grease gun can be the most dangerous weapon in a mechanics toolkit, a pistol grip is capable of offering up to 3,000 psi, a lever action can go up to 9,000, that's why your bleeder went out Dan!
I agree! That is why I prefer using the brake pedal (or handle for front brakes) to do all of the work. Think about it......the most direct hydraulic pressure possible.....directly behind the frozen piece you want moved....... in a chamber designed and manufactured to withstand the forces placed on it....and....easy to clean afterward! (I am not a big fan of the grease gun clean up afterwards.)

gee weez copared to the stories ive heard on piston removal ...this is the safest ...the most amount of pressure in the safest way ....that my way to cansider it ...its great to get that kind of muscle in the safest way possible

Regardless of available pressure to grease. The grease itself does not hold pressure long it oozes. It also sticks to the piston so it usually just pops out gently. Using the brake master works but you'd best have the piston blocked with wood or the caliper wrapped in rags as it can come out with a lot of force.

Always use a block or packing to avoid a catastrophe when the piston finally lets go!

Screw a 1/8 grease fitting or the end of the grease gun hose into the brake line fitting. Not a perfect fit but holds good enough to pump out any stuck piston.

Latest posts