Back to a Standard with the Wife's approval!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122925#p122925:3s77pc1d said:
joedrum » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:08 pm[/url]":3s77pc1d]
there so pretty before they turn burnt brown :smilie_happy:
Not this time Joe!! Brand new connector with brand new spades crimped AND soldered plus the back of it is packed with dielectric grease.

The open back on these connectors is the main reason they fail! Water and condensation get in there (Like every time some one washers their bike or rides through a rain shower) and water gets into the plug end and runs down into the spade. Corrosion builds and the bad connection heats up and burns the connectors to a crisp.

I went through every connector on the bike and cleaned up the spades with my Dremmel and packed the back of them with dielectric grease.

Radiator back in, fill with coolant, connect fan.....connect fan...............connect fan..........................connect fan...............................connect fan..................

:cheeky: :Awe:

You know that part in the MANUAL that says to connect the fan BEFORE installing the radiator, shroud and filling with coolant, I am here to tell you that they were correct! :rtfm: :whip: :cheeky:

WHAT A PAIN!!! And it is not like I haven't done this before! Take the rock guard off, remove the top and bottom bolts/nuts, slide radiator out onto the COOLANT FILLED hoses and reach in from the right side to reconnect the fan wire. (Re-assemble now you dummy :hihihi: :whistling: )

BTW, I am so glad I painted the radiator! :yes:

Seems that somehow, I missed that part that YOU REALLY CAN'T SEE IT BEHIND THE ROCK GUARD! :doh:

Filled the engine oil (trying the Rotella 15w40 this time), exhaust system back on, quick check that everything installed so far is tightened.

Today I intend to tackle the carb leak. I hope to resolve that today and start this baby up again!!

Once running, the new windshield is next!!

(Sure seems like an awful lot of work since post #1 when all I really wanted to do is remove the faring and add a windshield! :hihihi: :whip: )

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123083#p123083:2aawqi93 said:
mcgovern61 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:40 am[/url]":2aawqi93]
Radiator back in, fill with coolant, connect fan.....connect fan...............connect fan..........................connect fan...............................connect fan..................

:cheeky: :Awe:

You know that part in the MANUAL that says to connect the fan BEFORE installing the radiator, shroud and filling with coolant, I am here to tell you that they were correct! :rtfm: :whip: :cheeky:

WHAT A PAIN!!! And it is not like I haven't done this before! Take the rock guard off, remove the top and bottom bolts/nuts, slide radiator out onto the COOLANT FILLED hoses and reach in from the right side to reconnect the fan wire. (Re-assemble now you dummy :hihihi: :whistling: )

BTW, I am so glad I painted the radiator! :yes:

Seems that somehow, I missed that part that YOU REALLY CAN'T SEE IT BEHIND THE ROCK GUARD! :doh:

I got rid of the tin shield between the rad and the engine and it makes things, like that fan plug, way easier to get at. Still haven't experienced a down side to it.

Brian

CARBS ARE OK!!! It was a stuck float!! Tried the old feed the gas from the lawnmower tank again with a clean dry set of carbs and no leak initially. Pumped the throttle a few times to check flow and #2 isn't doing anything. Next thing I know, gas is leaking in #2. Love Tap the side of the bowl and it stops leaking! :party:

Decide to keep them filled with gas and tap the daylights out of them! Works like a charm. No leaks no matter which way I hold them up to 45 degrees. The floats must have been stuck from sitting dry all winter and spring. Cleaned them up and time to put them babies back on the bike!! :yahoo:

She Runs Again!! Carbs back in, various other pieces re-installed, hit the start button and BOOM...just like it was never shutdown!! Starts on the first push with no choke. Sync is out from playing with the pilot screws. I will have to do an idle drop procedure soon. For now, I just synced them up again.

RUNS LIKE A CHAMP!! Without the faring, this bike just dances!! No air in the front shocks and they are still dampening great without that extra weight on the front end! As I am riding, I am getting that NEW BIKE SMELL! (Or maybe it is just the new paint getting baked on?) :hihihi:

Windshield goes on Sunday afternoon. For today, I just enjoyed riding around town again! :party: :heat: :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123187#p123187:1ry0u0no said:
mcgovern61 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:35 pm[/url]":1ry0u0no]
She Runs Again!! Carbs back in, various other pieces re-installed, hit the start button and BOOM...just like it was never shutdown!! Starts on the first push with no choke. Sync is out from playing with the pilot screws. I will have to do an idle drop procedure soon. For now, I just synced them up again.

RUNS LIKE A CHAMP!! Without the faring, this bike just dances!! No air in the front shocks and they are still dampening great without that extra weight on the front end! As I am riding, I am getting that NEW BIKE SMELL! (Or maybe it is just the new paint getting baked on?) :hihihi:

Windshield goes on Sunday afternoon. For toady, I just enjoyed riding around town again! :party: :heat: :good:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I will get pics on Sunday after I get the windshield on and clean her up a bit.

I did notice that the temp is running a little higher. I tried a different anitfreeze/coolant. It is the orange stuff used for GM. I had a brand new bottle and thought I would try it. It is 50/50 mix, but it seemed a little heavier than I would have expected. Might not be circulating as quickly?

The fan cools it down quick enough and the temp is only going to 3/4 before the fan kicks in, just getting there faster than expected. I checked the thermostat and the in and out temps and the T-stat is working correctly. The in and out temps are also correct. When riding up to 40 MPH, the radiator shrouds are doing what they should and the temp stays steady at 1/2.

I am under the opinion it is the coolant not transferring the heat (or maybe transferring faster than before?) :nea:

+1
Don't worry about temp too much as long as overflow bottle is expanding and contracting with the hot and cold fluid it should be fine. I like to check the radiator when it is cold and make sure that it is still full to the top after doing any work on the system ( still checking the Forester after having the engine out)

Windshield is on! We are on the road in style!!!

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Latest posts