Back with another problem!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRepoGuy

Reaction score
Morning to all of you folks! Been a minute since I popped into the forum, figured I might be able to get an answer to an issue I’ve got with a totally different wing.

I’ve got a few now, 12 total and most of them are in good working order...the problem child for today is a 1987 Interstate. Every time I go to start the bike it pops the ignition fuse in the fuse block. My service manual went MIA so I don’t know where to even start with this one since it’s been a hot minute since I’ve had to work on one of these old girls...

The starter will spin for a second then that fuse pops...every time. I pulled the solenoid just to see if that was the problem and the wires going to it were shot so I replaced them and tested the solenoid which is good. Cleaned the frame ground as usual but still does the same thing.

Anyone care to lend a thought? Here’s the bike
df4d36a5c3c390ef4602e2cb39e6a72a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ignition fuse or main 30 amp fuse? Big difference. Starter circuit will not even play into an overcurrent condition in the ignition circuit. So let's be specific on which fuse is blowing.

In fact, the high current side of the starter circuit through the solenoid is not fuse protected at all. Only the control side.

desertrefugee":354oktou said:
Ignition fuse or main 30 amp fuse? Big difference. Starter circuit will not even play into an overcurrent condition in the ignition circuit. So let's be specific on which fuse is blowing.

In fact, the high current side of the starter circuit through the solenoid is not fuse protected at all. Only the control side.
Come on now! I would have specified ha! It’s the ignition fuse, not the 30a ATC I’ve got on the solenoid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry. The response above threw me off. In that case you've most likely either got a shorted or pinched wire contacting the frame or shorted coil primary. Maybe do a quick continuity check on the primary side of the circuit feeding the coils.

Here's how you chase that:

Disconnect the power cable from the starter, so that pushing the starter button does NOT spin the starter.

Install a fuse, turn ignition on, and wait. Will the fuse blow WITHOUT pushing the starter button?

If so, follow the ignition power circuit.
If not, press and hold the starter button, and see if the fuse blows.

If not, the starter solenoid circuit is shorted somewhere.

If it DOES, dismantle the right side handgrip and check the pushbutton contacts and switch for possibility of short... like... chrome fragments in the vicinity of moving contacts. Check the wiring going from pushbutton, down into the front of the frame for signs of pinch or damage.

My suspicion is that there is a short from one of the add-on light accessories. I ALWAYS start by eliminating everything non-factory-installed first. 90% of the time I find the problem stems from poorly done modifications done by a previous owner or "mechanic". Even a Dealership Honda add-on can be done badly and go unnoticed for several years before showing its ugly head!

Latest posts