Bare bones wiring diagram help please

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrianroll

Reaction score
I hope this isn't a sore topic here, if so....my apologies as I havent found it yet.

I'm wanting to eliminate everything not needed on this bike. Eventually I will add lights to it but I would like a complete stripped down setup. Cheap....I will be making it.

I am fairly new to motorcycle circuits. I know some basic wiring but condenser, regulator, rectifier, etc. Is something I need to read up on. I like to build/repair my own stuff so I have some learning to do.

My main problem is I have the service manual diagram, a color diagram, and a supposed bare bones diagram. The bare bones shows no regulator or condenser while the others do.

Does it matter which alternator wire goes where since they are yellow?

Here is a pic of the bare bones diagram...

Pic 2..what are these? Never dealt with them before...

Pic 3..what are the yellow and black fabric wrapped wires in the coil wire cluster?

Pic 4...my project...

I have looked, but am on my phone so I havent found much help yet, I will keep looking. Thank you for your help.
77e4cb8eb38be90925f507cb4f1428f8.jpg
fdad46e9e2e4739d75070129c99db726.jpg
612c6d7fc7c58a4168119627864ae289.jpg
d2380fa00c87191c56930dcd18787212.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#2 are diodes. (They are called rectifiers in the online wiring schematics).

One diode makes the neutral safety work properly. If it is shorted out, the neutral safety light will come on every time the clutch lever is pulled. If it is removed, the motorcycle won't start in neutral unless the clutch lever is pulled.

Second diode ... not sure what that one is for. Looks like it is part of the circuit that connects to the coils, starter, etc. If I'm reading it correctly, I think it looks like there coils are powered by a circuit that includes a resistor (the ballast resistor?). But when the starter button is path, it creates an alternative path to the coils without a resistor. I suspect it makes a hotter spark for starting. Then when the bike is running, the ballast resistor probably drops it down to 7-9V or so to make the points last longer and protect the coils from overheating.

Have you checked out the wiring schematics yet? If you are planning on redoing all the wiring, you probably should get very familiar with the schematics.

Post above is spot on .... the reserve lightning unit is the craziest bunch of ridicules wiring I’ve ever seen on a bike ...it is my goal to reduce the wiring to basic level also ..hard to do with these bikes the way they are stock ...good luck ...

That is interesting! Electrical stuff is my weakest area...for whatever reason my Brain just doesnt absorb it.

I need to blow up the schematic into a poster so I can read it easier.

Thanks for the replys!

Well......apparently you should look at the correct wiring diagram for your year bike! Mine does not have the reserve stuff! Sweet! I still need to relocate things but what a relief....

Has there been much discussion on using a smaller battery? I'd like a smaller one to hide easier. (Run lights off a switch so there is more power at starter. Maybe a capacitor also?)