Battery

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winger 82

Reaction score
Just wondering what type of battery you guys riding the 1500 are using , going to have to put a new one in my 95 Goldwing SE here this spring , Gel or Acid base ? Brand that you have had good luck with ? Was going to see if I had someone local that had Interstates or DieHards , have a friend that swears by Deka's
Thanks in advance Winger 82

I have a "Super Start" AGM in my '96. Also ended up using the same brand/type in the '81 before I sold it. They all seem to last around 3 years, depending on how much riding is done per year. I've actually replaced the alternator on the GL1500 more than the battery, in the time that I've had it. (2016)

Super Start ETX18L

I Have the same Odyssey AGM battery in GL1200 SEi for 7 years now. Still maintains 12.44V static, unloaded for days on end. Caveat: I keep battery tender on board to NEVER let it deplete/sulfate. (secret to long life) Will use no other anymore. Had them all.

Thanks for the reply Sixstring, had bought a Deka AGM just last week and got a 1 yr warranty with it, all others I looked at only carried a 3 month , yes I have a battery tender that i keep on my other toys that I swap out every couple weeks. Had an AGM battery in my 82 Asspy that would lose a charge after 2-3 weeks of sitting . was told it was losing the charge because of all the pre-sets (clock & radio) I can believe a little drain from that but not an almost dead battery. So I shied away from the AGM 's for alot of yrs, going to give it another try with this 95 1500

Yup! There is a significant parasite draw on these. I have an SEi and learned my lesson on my LTD. I hard wired the pigtail to the batt. and simply plug it in the (ready to go) tender when I pull up.
I was mistaken about having it for 7 years. I had actually bought it 9 years ago! (Time flies when ur old)
I believe the magic potion to batteries is simply the quality of the ingredients.