Best sources/resources - need to rebuild or buy starter for 81 GL1100 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbags

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all.

So the 81 I have been working on turns out to have once been an interstate, which is interesting since the fairing and trunk are gone and it looks more like a standard now with but as a bagger.

Anyway, while doing some major electrical rehab over the weekend my starter died. I would like to just buy one used or otherwise since it's the last "functional" piece I need, but I can and am pop starting it on the occasion I want to ride right now.

But...since I'm learning so much already and pulling the starter is something someone of my limited IQ can handle I would like to try to refurbish/rebuild the one on the bike, besides, the paint matches the motor paint so I can save having to repaint.

Does anyone have a good source for what I'd need to rebuild the starter that you can share? Or, a good source to get another one, bonus points for junkyard pulls!

Ebay doesn't seem to have what I need in terms of brushes, etc, but if I'm wrong and you know where I can find em, please let me know!

Thanks,
Chris