Bike acts like it has a rev limiter in around 5000 rpm

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, you noted that 2 different carb sets were used, both recently overhauled, so carbs might be able to be ruled out. Fuel delivery under load is a different story. The carbs can only put out the amount of fuel delivered to them.

So, if you get into 5th gear and slowly raise the throttle as you reach highway speeds, can you creep up past 5000 RPM? If not, then I would assume gas delivery to the carbs is being either restricted or starved. New gas lines by chance?
You can get past 5000 rpm with throttle slowly but it has difficulty. Yes all rubber is new fuel lines etc

Assuming the fuel pump is working correctly, I would suspect possible issue at the fuel pickup inside the gas tank, or possibly even the fuel petcock seals being swollen. Easy way to check the pickup. Close the petcock, take the gas line off the filter, insert the end of an air pump hose (tapered type), open the petcock and send compressed air into the tank (I would not use more than 12 lbs of air pressure.) Reconnect the gas hose and take the bike for a ride right away. If no immediate difference, you can at least rule out a clogged pickup screen.

Assuming the fuel pump is working correctly, I would suspect possible issue at the fuel pickup inside the gas tank, or possibly even the fuel petcock seals being swollen. Easy way to check the pickup. Close the petcock, take the gas line off the filter, insert the end of an air pump hose (tapered type), open the petcock and send compressed air into the tank (I would not use more than 12 lbs of air pressure.) Reconnect the gas hose and take the bike for a ride right away. If no immediate difference, you can at least rule out a clogged pickup screen.
I've finally figured it out it showed its face. I was at my ol motorcycle buddy's house were I shut it off , then he said start it and drive by his house at full throttle so he could hear it. So I cranked the bike took off and it didn't do it , turned around and launched that bike absolutely screamed down the road then the bike started dying . Looked down and realized the petcock was off causing bike to run leaner. So the problem was I'm running rich at full throttle so I'm gonna drop the float level to 16mm instead of 15.5, although it could be weak spark at higher rpm

Last edited:
Well droping the float height helped a lot but it is still present however you can pull out of the problem area. I set the float height to 16 mm, I guess I could set it to 16.5 I'm afraid I'll make it run too lean has anybody ever had a problem with the needle Jets and those carburetors being worn is it just seems Rich at 3/4 throttle

Up to this point, you mentioned two different carb sets performing the same way. Can the needle get worn? Yes. Are they aftermarket needles? (Notorious for not working correctly.) If they are original needles, have the tips been sanded? Have the seats been sanded cleaned and reseated? (I am only posing questions for a rethink and not guessing your carb rebuild skills.)

My experience rebuilding 1100 carbs has seen a few notable items. One of the common issues is not getting the sync correct on the bench. The carbs cab be synced to each other even if two of them are only balanced to each other, but higher than the other two. The side to side balance can be attained, but when at higher RPM, you lose power. Again, I am assuming you have great skills and experience rebuilding carbs based on your previous posts. But the 1100 carbs can be real tricky once fully separated, cleaned and reassembled. If you want to discuss these points any further, I am open to that. If you are sure the carbs are not the issue, I will respect that also.

I've actually thought of that and wondered but I use a manometer instead of vacuum gauges that way I can make absolutely sure one is not pulling more than the other because it sucks against one another the interesting thing is when I get to that stutter spot if I just barely let off the throttle and then gun it again she'll take off and rip on up to 8,000 RPM it's very strange it's almost like I'm getting flutter in the vacuum slides but I have polished them they slide freely they vacuum test correctly this one has got me absolutely stumped. Also thank you very much for helping I don't want people to ever think that I know it all my problem is I'm an absolute perfectionist and the least little thing drives me insane

When you cleaned the carbs, did you check to be sure the accelerator jets were clean?

ACC Jet 006.jpg

Latest posts