Bike wont start - Honda GL1100 1983 -- help

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icgg210

Reaction score
Ok - my husband and I ride a 83 GL1100 - rode bike on Monday for a few hours - we got wet from the rain but that is part of the fun - OK today bike will start at all :( nothing!!!

WE NEED HELP all fuses are good - have charged the battery

Where the "spare main fuse" is right above this the wires look kinda burnt - not sure if this fuse behind the two screws there is bad. Does any of this make sense? I just want to ride. Please help a lil gal out. :party:

That main (dog bone) fuse can cause headaches by looking good but have hairline cracks in it.
Try replacing it or better yet adapt a blade type fuse holder.

Welcome to the forums!

for sure where everything is burnt looking take this loose and check all wires and stuff for burn though and if it looks okay you can jump between the two dog bone fuse terminals with some wire to see if power gose though .....if it dose then you can replace the dogbone fuse or do as dan says and change it out to somethig better ......i had one go out just like you discribe ...rode in park it and nothing the next day at all ...good luck

It's hard to diagnose the problem without more detailed information. First is the bike turning over, but not starting, or is it totally dead in the water,with no electrical power all, or do you have electrical power to the gauges and lights and everything else, but no power to the starter or engine electrical components.

NO power to gauges / lights nothing - battery is good - charged it and it is pretty new. Kill switch is on so we are good on all that. We are going to try to bypass the line. Thanks for all the suggestions and quick responses.

Definitely sounds like the main fuse is bad, or the connection is corroded. I had a similar problem on mine before I finally re-did it to use a blade type fuse. Mine would sometimes just die on me...no lights, crank, nothing...then it would just as suddenly come back to life. The main fuse was the culprit. :head bang:

I had my spark plug drains plug and then the plug wires would short out also . so check to see that they are clear to avoid other problems down the road

Latest posts