Blown head storage? Water on plugs?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWE

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently purchased an old GL1200 and have driven it a few different days (maybe 100 miles or so) without any noticeable concerns. Most recently, when I parked it, there was a distinct white smoke (coolant I assume) coming from the forward right-hand cylinder exhaust pipe. Since then, I've started it twice in the driveway, just to verify that it was indeed smoking, and it was indeed the same cylinder, and both times it has and is.

I intend to change the head gasket, then.

Not right away, unfortunately. I'd like to put the bike up for a month or two until I get some other things settled down, and I'm curious as to whether I should drain the coolant before letting it sit, or the oil, or possibly both? I'm up for the do-it-yourself repair, but I frankly don't know how serious the risks are, potentially having coolant dripping into the cylinder over time.

Also, though I imagine its probably irrelevant, I did go to check the spark plug for signs of 'steam cleaning', and the thing was dirtier than a pig in the mud. I was surprised to find water sitting around the spark plug (only the one plug, not both of them) when I pulled up the rubber plug cover. While strange that it was only the forward plug that had water sitting around it, I don't imagine this being the cause or result of anything other than letting it sit outside for a few rainy days?

You might have an external coolant leak.
Possibly from the coolant crossover tubes, especially since the plug boot is wet.
There are little drain holes below the plugs that lead right to the exhaust headers.
I'd clean and dry there then run it looking closely at the coolant tubes and any coolant running into the plug well.

If there was water outside the same plug that the smoke is coming from, you may simply have a plugged drain hole, which passes through the head from the spark plug to above the exhaust pipe. It may be slowly dripping through, and steaming on the pipe. Poke a stiff wire through it to drain the water. Was the smoke coming from the header pipe at the head, or out the tailpipe? Has the coolant level gone down?

Yup - what Dan said! D'oh!

I haven't yet topped it off and ran it to check for coolant disappearance, as I wasn't sure I should. I know if it's a gasket problem, it will lead to corrosion in the cylinders, but I wasn't sure if its the sort of things I can ride around on to check these kinds of things, or whether riding at any length is going to cause further issues. I work about 10 miles away, so, maybe that's a short enough distance I could ride a day or two and see if the level falls?

The bike has a separate pipe for each cylinder, and the smoke is definitely coming from the exit end of the pipe. That's how I knew it specifically matched up to the plug that had water sitting on it.

I did notice what appeared to be a recess of some kind just below the plug, but I couldn't tell for sure just by looking. If that was indeed a drain hole, then it is definitely plugged. While that's great to know, I wouldn't imagine that's causing smoke out the rear end of the exhaust pipes. :(

could be condensation too. I'd clear that drain and check it over. If it is indeed a gasket issue. I'd drain the coolant and run it a couple minutes first before storing just to be sure there is no rust accumulation.

Smoke out the pipes isn't always coolant. If you can, smell the smoke and see it it is sweet (like steaming coolant). It can also be a flooded carb. From the condition of the plug, I'd put my money on a gas leaking problem than a blown head gasket. (Just my opinion)

Exit end then it does sound like head gasket leaking.

For extended storage like this I'd drain the coolant then crank it over with the plugs out to blow any coolant out.
Changing the oil not a bad idea either.

I'm not sure I'd run the engine with no coolant because I think that could damage the pump seal.

Presently, I'm keeping it in pretty tight quarters, so running it for even a short time gets the fumes a goin'.

I'm no expert, but I'd say it has a sweet smell. I had read that's an indicator, and wondered if it didn't bias my opinion some, but I guess I've stood around enough cars to tell the difference, more or less.

Hopefully this weekend I'll get some time to fiddle with it. Check the external lines, just to be sure, maybe top it up, take it for a quick zip, and then compare all the plugs and coolant level when I'm done (they've probably been in the darn thing for 20 years).

I suppose blasting down country roads test-driving a bike that's just come out of extended storage is probably a good way to blow a gasket. Or, possibly I've been had by the likes of some Seal-It-Quick product the previous owner may have used. They were nice folks though, and it seems like a straightforward fix, as soon as my torque wrench shows up...

the only thing that makes head gasket replacement bad is the cost of gaskets what a rip off oldwing head gaskets are ...these people should be arrested for gouging ...other wise it not bad job