Bought a new bike it's a Honda

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westgl

Reaction score
I traded a 08' suzuki cruiser that I had for sale on Craigs list but was not having any luck selling it;

Bought A new Honda NC700X

Parallel twin, two injector's, But one 36mm throttle body, roller rockers, SOHC 73mm bore 80mm stroke 10.7:1 comp, 6 speed trans 472-lbs curb weight.

it has a front trunk or a Frunk that will easily hold a full face helmet in it or a few bags of groceries

First tank of gas, I got 80.37 mpg with it, this is a 700 size bike

Maintenance is 8k miles, that's Honda's oil change interval.

Spark plugs change is at 36K miles

Valve adjust check is 8k it has the screw & nut, like the GL1100

It is a very nice, easy to ride, weight is very low and feels like a light bike do to the weight being very low, It is a very comfortable ride.

Honda has put a lot into the development of this new bike.

Clutch is on one side, stator is on the other side

Here is a picture of My Warthog (GL1200 naked) next to my NC700X

it is a upright seating position, like my Warthog GL1200

Attachments

• P1010941 1 comp 91k.jpg
    P1010941 1 comp 91k.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 298
Here is the NC700X naked, the cylinders lean forward to lower the weight as low as possible and this make the the front trunk possible

You can also see the gas tank toward the rear of the bike.

The weight is so low, it handles really well and feels like you are riding a much lighter bike, yet it feels very solid and substantial on the freeway

Attachments

• NC700X.jpg
    NC700X.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 298
here is a cut away of the engine

Single throttle body, & single exhaust

Attachments

• NC700X engine.jpg
    NC700X engine.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 299
Here is the bike,

And yes it handles very well, it is a lot of fun to ride.

I cannot believe 80 mpg the first tank, I did not baby it, I rode it like a commuter bike, no freeway, side streets, rural area. ridden between 55mph and 75mph varying the engine speed

They call it an adventure bike for the street

Attachments

• NC700X picture.jpg
    NC700X picture.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 298
Here is one with some Honda accessories, fully dressed with saddle bags, trunk, they really accessorize them, they also make them in an Automatic dual clutch shift DCT trans

But i got the Manual 6spd trans with clutch.

The CTX700 Windshield raises and lowers

Attachments

• Honda NC700X picture fully dressed.jpg
    Honda NC700X picture fully dressed.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 269
  • ctx700 compaison pix.jpg
    ctx700 compaison pix.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 260
This is the exact same bike, same engine, trans, frame, wheels just different body panels

it is a CTX700, this one has the feet forward with forward controls

Does anybody notice what Honda was trying to do here.

Attachments

• CTX700 pic.jpg
    CTX700 pic.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 269
and this is the CTX700 naked version

Seat is 28" high so it sits low

it also comes in manual 6sp trans or a DCT automatic trans, auto trans has drive mode, Sport mode, manual shift mode, via push buttons, but up shifts auto-magicly when coming to a stop

Honda is going to use this exact same Platform for a few more bikes that they have coming out.

Honda has a Scooter coming out or maybe it is out already out called the Integra

Attachments

• CTX700 pic naked.jpg
    CTX700 pic naked.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 264
This New Engine (NC700X stand for "NC" "NEW Concept") is torquey it makes about 40ft lbs of torque at 1500 rpm just off idle,

here is another model of this new design

it is the NC700S

Since they are making several different models that all use all the same parts there will be plenty of spare parts down the road

Attachments

• nc700S Picture.jpg
    nc700S Picture.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 172
I liked the VFR1200 DCT that I rode back in 2010 but I wouldn't buy one even though it was a lot of fun and not much dearer than the standard clutch. I kept thinking about the expense of replacing any of that technology when it fails. If I bought a new bike I would want it to last at least 20 years like my other Hondas.

That's is why I went with a Manual 6sp speed.

This supposed to be a newer version of that VFR1200 DCT, it has two clutch packs that alternate between 1,3,& 6-gear, the other clutch pack uses 2, 4, & 5th gear, Clutch is kinda like the manual trans version only there is two of them in the auto trans and supposedly shifts like a manual trans, in the way it feels, I have NOT ridden one though,

But Yes, I felt the same way, I want it to last and i want to be able to work on it.

Here is a picture of the Honda Integra Scooter The windshield raises and lowers

Attachments

• Honda integra Scooter pix.jpg
    Honda integra Scooter pix.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 174
The Automatic trans version comes with ABS brakes it is bundled together

Standard trans is a linked brake system

Dan dont ride one unless you have way more self control than i do.

The new engine design has a lower Redline of 6500 rpm, and you drive it by its torque, not high end rpm horsepower

At 40 ft lbs torque at 1500rpm that's how they get the 80mpg out of a 700 size bike that high torque at low rpm helps keep the revs low & mileage high

Plus they did a lot of internal engine friction reduction.

SOHC, 4 valves per cyl., 2 fuel injectors, 1-36mm throttle body no sync'ing, screw & nut valve adjustment at 8K mile inspection interval, & 8k mile oil change.

0-60 is 4.9 sec, good enough to be fun
1/4 mile is 13.86 @ 94.23 mph
60-0 braking is 115.8 feet
472 lbs curb weight, but it feels more like low 300-lbs range when handling through the twisties, yet it feels like a larger more stable bike on the freeway I dont know how they did that, I have to hand it to there engineers.

Honda engineered this bike to be low cost by 2013 standards rear brake was cut out of the center of the front disc brake, they engineered this bike to be low cost, one throttle body, single exhaust.

2012' NC700X was $6900, not $10-$12K like most all new bikes.

The engine is basically loafing so it should last a LOT of miles