......Breaking News.....!!!!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badorderbob

Reaction score
For those who use the Denso Alternator;......... this contains to pulley size......... But first a little story :laptop: !! A person (ME) wanted a 2.0" pulley for his Alt and was inclined to search the Web (far and wide)!! Almost ready he was about to give up when in fact, he thought he'd struck Gold and found the ultimate 2.0" pulley varified by a rep. from ..ggs!! He thought he'd struck Gold by this fined :Egyptian: !!! The order was placed, recieved the piece of Gold, installed the precious piece :laptop: and was a very happy costumer :yahoo: !! Since he intrusted the rep with his knowledge, thinking he had a better piece of GOLD than his ole one, compared the 2 and come to find out they were the SAME :Awe: !!!!! Since the new piece was already installed and the old one had lock-jaw marks in it he was said what was told to him next :fiddle: !! He called Power...ter and talked to a Techy who informed him the size was fer sure one in the same size :Awe: which is...... Not a 2.0"...... or a 2.5"..... but......................A.... 2.8",......A 2.8",.......2.8"....... :sensored: !!!!! Now pay attention folks,... THE TECHY SAID THIS ''IS'' ( IS ) THE,..........SMALLEST ''''''2.8''''''THEY MAKE FOR DENSO ALTERNATOR!!!!!!!!!!!! :Awe: :rant: :rant: :rant: ! So he placed a complaint with ..ggs and Power...ter,....really to no avail!! ..ggs said I (oops) aah He cold return it but since the ole piece was messed up, trying to get it off, he just got well aah SCREWED!! He mentioned to both parties involved a SIZE should be POSTED with there product :rant: !!! The story ends that Customer Service said they'd try to resolve the mistake (leaving me out $$).........aaah right......OK......will seee!!!!!!!!!!!! The End :laptop: So the smallest on Any Denso is a,.....2.8"!! :smilie_happy: Enjoy You Day Guys :eek:k: I will :head bang: :thank_you: Later :hi: Bob Time for a :beer: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://store.alternatorparts.com/3-groove.aspx

This is a 3 groove 57mm diameter which is close to 2 1/4".
Mine is actually a 4 groove.

I don't know about the bore size needed for a specific alternator but they have many different variations of the same.

04305.jpg

Thanks Dan for some "Good to me !!" news! I was really bumbed out when this all came down. Yes I'm using the 3groove / 3 ribbed system. And mind you, I was taking to a Tech from PowerMasters and stupid idiot from Jeggs swore it was a 2" pulley!!! Almost ruined my day :Awe: !! Trying to find a real 2" pulley is like putting gym shoes on a stubborn Jackass :head bang: !! Makes me think all they wanted was money and the heck with customers!! Thanks Dan, I'll have to check that out! Gee I was only out $39 :rant: !! The way the Tech from PowerMasters explained it was the only small pulley was the 2.8" made :doh: !! Ok Later :hi: Bob

I spent a lot of time researching pulley's, many hours online as well as on the phone to alternator and specialty shops, and visiting them in person. I was after a 2" flat.
My conclusion is 2 1/4" is the smallest readily available. To get smaller it would have to be made special.
There is no reason for that though.
Running a 4" pulley at the crank and a 2 1/4 at the alternator is almost 2 to 1 and produces a positive charge at idle.

I understand what your saying but I'm running a 3.5 to a 2.8 = a 1.25 ratio putting out only a 13.2 +-!! :swoon: But with the 2.2 and a 3.5 = a 1.6 rouded off r :swoon: ratio. A big improvement wouldn't you say and running a 2.25 amd a 4.0 gives a 1.7 ratio pretty close!!! So I went ahead and bought that pulley which is a 2.2 and was alot cheaper then the other one! Oh and by the way after the mournings episode, they gave me a full refund in a gift Jegs certificate! So I'm a little happier, and by the way Thank You for finding the 2.2 pulley :thanks: !!! I hope it does a better job then the 2.8. I'll let you know the outcome :music: !! Thanks, again Dan!! Later :hi: , Bob

:laptop: alternatorparts.com also has part #2482264 for nipondenso 15mm bore 1.97 dia. alt. pulley and part # 241253 for delco 12si 17mm bore 2.05 dia. They got all kinds of brackets and connectors, good website it looks like with decent prices. The above pulleys run bout twenty bucks each. :Egyptian:

badorderbob":19lm8mgc said:
I understand what your saying but I'm running a 3.5 to a 2.8 = a 1.25 ratio putting out only a 13.2 +-!! :swoon: But with the 2.2 and a 3.5 = a 1.6 rouded off r :swoon: ratio. A big improvement wouldn't you say and running a 2.25 amd a 4.0 gives a 1.7 ratio pretty close!!! So I went ahead and bought that pulley which is a 2.2 and was alot cheaper then the other one! Oh and by the way after the mournings episode, they gave me a full refund in a gift Jegs certificate! So I'm a little happier, and by the way Thank You for finding the 2.2 pulley :thanks: !!! I hope it does a better job then the 2.8. I'll let you know the outcome :music: !! Thanks, again Dan!! Later :hi: , Bob
I really don't see the the problem. If it's putting out 13.2 at idle I'd call it good and forget it.

Well I just don't understand that last post :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: !! AM I a perfectionist :doh: ,.. I agree Slag but there's always room for improvement :Egyptian: !! BacLder I'm sure it would work but the only problem I see is room for it. It might be too close on both ends but I already bought the 2.2 pulley which will give me a ratio of 1.6 and the one you suggested would give me a 1.7 really no difference but close and I thank you :thanks: !! Now I await for the arrival :music2: :music: :yahoo: !!! As soon as I get it changed out and tested, I share the results :eek:k: !! Later :rocks: :hi: Bob

Yes and I appreciate the concern!! :thanks: The last pulley was a 15mm or .059, and also verified by the Tech's I talked live to about this pulley. One mo time around the block :beg: !! Thanks again Dan, Bob

badorderbob":10wo8gtj said:
Yes and I appreciate the concern!! :thanks: The last pulley was a 15mm or .059, and also verified by the Tech's I talked live to about this pulley. One mo time around the block :beg: !! Thanks again Dan, Bob
Bob I am sure you had a typo but 15mm is .590 not .059 that is 1.5 mm.
Jerry

backlander":1h66beci said:
:laptop: alternatorparts.com also has part #2482264 for nipondenso 15mm bore 1.97 dia. alt. pulley and part # 241253 for delco 12si 17mm bore 2.05 dia. They got all kinds of brackets and connectors, good website it looks like with decent prices. The above pulleys run bout twenty bucks each. :Egyptian:
Backlander thanks for the info. In fact that's the same place where I'm getting my new pulley. I called today and got some info on the nipondenso 15mm bore and found out it was a 4 rib pulley. In our conversation, I explained this would be used along side with a 3 rib crank pulley and he advised not to buy it, even tho it would fit, because it could jump off the pullies. And said just to stick with a 3 rib system!! But Hay Thanks for the input!!!! :thanks: Later, :hi: Bob

:laptop: sorry, for some reason I had a 4 groove system on my mind, thinking that was what Dan is running on his. I was just doing some research for a project I'm anticipating on my wing and happen to run across those two inch pulleys. It seems that it's not a question of "if" the stator is going to crash, it's a question of "when". Can't wait to hear the difference it makes on the voltage at idle.

badorderbob":2z65uexe said:
backlander":2z65uexe said:
Backlander thanks for the info. In fact that's the same place where I'm getting my new pulley. I called today and got some info on the nipondenso 15mm bore and found out it was a 4 rib pulley. In our conversation, I explained this would be used along side with a 3 rib crank pulley and he advised not to buy it, even tho it would fit, because it could jump off the pullies. And said just to stick with a 3 rib system!! But Hay Thanks for the input!!!! :thanks: Later, :hi: Bob

Well my crank pulley is 3 rib but my alt pulley is 4 rib.
It's never jumped. The way a ribbed flat pulley and belt is designed I don't see any way that could happen if they're aligned at least close.

I can see the Tech's point and yours!! In all reality I had the 3-rib pulley bought anyway but maybe in the future I might get it any way, it would fit!! I wonder where they,...." Get These Techs"....... seems I can't get a true answer out of any of them :doh: !! :smilie_happy: Later, :thank_you: Bob

i agree with slabghost, 13.2 volts at idle is just fine for a 12 volt battery. I don't think any of my cages charge much more than that at idle. You don't want much more than 14.3 volts at maximum anyway. :)

I put this in the wrong Subject but Dan was kind enough to answer it any way :thanks: !! ...................................... The pulley on my stock alternator had only 4 or 5 grooves (serpentine) and this high amp alternator has 6 grooves (serpentine). Can I still use this alternator? Will it mess up my belt(s)?

No. There are several different serpentine pulleys available for late model alternators. Typically, the pulley off the stock alternator will fit on the Powermaster high amp alternator, if you prefer using the stock pulley. Powermaster high amp late model alternators come with a small, 6 groove serpentine pulley for a universal fit. If the stock alternator had a 4 or 5 groove pulley, the belt can still be used on the 6 groove pulley

This is from Jegs Q&A board!! Well they at least had something good to offer !! Bob

My next Post,... About pulley ratio,.... Would a 1.9 be too much or should I try to stick around a 1.7 ratio ??? Later Bob ..........................................................................................................................Answer by Dan in the next post.......I would get as close to 2 to 1 as you can! Man I must have "Hit My Head on the Bike " when I posted this on the wrong place!!! :smilie_happy: Sorry Beav ,..couldn't help it :eek:k: Later, :hi: Bob

Latest posts