Bridgestone Spitfire on the way...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Yeah...I bit the bullet and ordered a rear tire this morning, from Dennis Kirk. 130/90-H17, total cost w/shipping was a little over $90. I hope I can get the kind of mileage out of it as Gerry(mcgovern61), since the tire that's on it now has less than 4000 miles on it, and it's worn slick in one area, and now has cracks in the tread. :sensored: My new job has me driving/riding almost 100 miles a day, on the Dallas freeways, which means at LEAST 75mph!!! I hope the Dunlop on it now will last until the weekend.... :beg:

Sounds great. I hope it lasts and grips well for a long time. I have Pirelli Rout tires on my Kawasaki and they wear very well but don't do wet well at all. Keep us updated on how this works out for you.

Well....Imma spittin fire out da rear now....Bridgestone Spitfire tire, that is! Sometimes, I kinda wish I had a nekkid 'wing, so I wouldn't have to work so hard to get a dang tire off :heat: Oh well...I got it done anywho, and took a short ride down the road, to make sure everything got put back on right, and tight.
I set the new(unmounted) tire up against the old Dunlop once I got it off, and by golly, the new one is at least 1-1 1/2" taller than the slick old one. I wonder if that might have an effect on my MPH-RPM difference? I always remembered 75mph was around 4500rpm, but lately, it has shown closer to 5000rpm @ 75mph. Guess I'll find out tomorrow, iffin it don't rain. :beg:
At least swapping the tires wasn't too much of a pain. Old one off, and new one on with no problems a-tall. I did find that the old one had a bulge in it in one spot, amazingly enough it was just like the Dunlop I replaced last time....big ol' air bubble in it between the inner and outer plys of the tire....pos... :sensored:

Did you mount the tire yourself?

Not sure ya know but it's worth mentioning to avoid sharp turns or the twisties for the first 100 miles til the tread breaks in.

Hey how about a pic?

Well....yeah I mounted it meself...how else would I get it done? :Doh2:
:smilie_happy: :mrgreen:
I know about the slickness of a new tire, too. I found that out after I put the Dunlop on it last time. Of course, I had been warned here, too, so I kinda had an idea I need to be careful for a while.
I'll try to get some pics tomorrow evening of the old tire. It is pretty scary... I thought aboot taking some pics as I went along today, but...I was more interested in actually getting it finished. After I did the tire, I pulled the speedo back out(again), and lubed it up. It was starting the skweel. I also took the turn signal switch apart and kleened it up, as it wasn't workin very well on the left side. I had a pretty full day. Now I'm tired, and I gotta get up @ 5:30a and go to werk...dangit... :lazy:

Well, the ride to/frum werk today was soooo much nicer! I wasn't worried aboot the tar blowin on me, for one, but...I think I'm really gonna like this one. I can tell ya, I don't get the rear end shimmy-shake on the grooved freeway like I was before...it was pretty hairy with the Dunlop, even when it was still new. The Bridgestone doesn't seem to be bothered at all with the grooves, or rutting on the roads. :yahoo: The ride is still otay, too, tho it might be just a bit firmer. If so, that's a trade-off I can live with.
I'll just go ahead and agree with Gerry(mcgovern61) on the Bridgestones...they're definitely an improvement over the Dunlops. I'll be replacing my front tire soon with a Bridgestone, for sure! :Egyptian:

AApple":zqn2ptp0 said:
The ride is still otay, too, tho it might be just a bit firmer. If so, that's a trade-off I can live with.
I agree the Bridgestones are slightly stiffer, but they soften a touch (not much) over time. I am pushing 17k on the front tire and still am not sure I am replacing it this year (tread depth is still more than 3/8"). Could be the front tire has lasted so long because I am so fat all of the weight is on the back tire? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Latest posts