Bubblehead from KY :) '83 Aspy

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYWinger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:clapping: Yo!
After many years of racing/riding 2 strokes (and MANY years of NO bikes), I scored an '83 Aspy w/35K miles that had been garaged for the last 5 years.

I did the usual to bring it back to life:
rebuilt front calipers/replace pads
rebuilt forks
rebuilt front master cylinder
replaced radiator hoses/clamps/thermostat
replaced timing belts
had Pistol Pete redo carbs
rebuilt rear caliper/replaced pads
rebuilt rear master cylinder
installed new Metzler ME880's

I've got just under 1K miles on it since the rebuild, and I'm getting used to a large (to me) bike.

SURE is comfy in the 65-70 mph range! We joined GWRRA and will do much more next year when the weather gets nicer.

I really appreciate sites like this, as I NEVER, EVER coulda rebuilt everything with the nicely detailed how-to's!

Thanks to y'all :good:

John

well im glad the wing is up and going these sites are great for info and how tos for sure ...i just love the oldwings for there smoothness and ability to bring you home...welcome john :mrgreen:

Welcome to the CGW Forums, John!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

rock42":2y3h2bq9 said:
my sweet spot on my 75 is between 70 and 75. feet on highway pegs tunes on the radio and way we go

That's how to enjoy the ride, ride on brother!

Welcome aboard Bubblehead,
I don't think there are many subs in KY.
I rode the black sewer pipes out of Charleston, Rota, etc.

Good luck with the Wing, it is a better ride than a sub fer sure!!! :salute:

Welcome, sounds like you are set to ride man...I can sit on that 81 of mine all day long and just enjoy every second of it...I love my Goldwing and I take very good care of her..Her name is Ginger..

this winter's project is upgrading the brakes (I already have EBC pads with newly rebuilt calipers/master cylinders): S/S lines all around, have the rotors drilled and am considering un-linking the brakes.....

KYWinger":3v9u5fzo said:
:clapping: Yo!
After many years of racing/riding 2 strokes (and MANY years of NO bikes), I scored an '83 Aspy w/35K miles that had been garaged for the last 5 years.

I did the usual to bring it back to life:
rebuilt front calipers/replace pads
rebuilt forks
rebuilt front master cylinder
replaced radiator hoses/clamps/thermostat
replaced timing belts
had Pistol Pete redo carbs
rebuilt rear caliper/replaced pads
rebuilt rear master cylinder
installed new Metzler ME880's

I've got just under 1K miles on it since the rebuild, and I'm getting used to a large (to me) bike.

SURE is comfy in the 65-70 mph range! We joined GWRRA and will do much more next year when the weather gets nicer.

I really appreciate sites like this, as I NEVER, EVER coulda rebuilt everything with the nicely detailed how-to's!

Thanks to y'all :good:

John
Hello & welcome from SoCal :hi: and thank you for joining in :thank_you: I guess you well covered everything that would keep that nice ride you got riding smooth.Did you use randaks rebuilt kit on those carbs?and how are you liking those ME880's as to grip?

KYWinger":19kr6zj6 said:
this winter's project is upgrading the brakes (I already have EBC pads with newly rebuilt calipers/master cylinders): S/S lines all around, have the rotors drilled and am considering un-linking the brakes.....
Had a gl1200 and never got used to that linked system either...go figure :nea:

Carl- Yes, Pistol Pete's uses Randakk's kits when they rebuild carbs. The tires seem to grip well - haven't done a lot of peg draggin' to check out grip at the edges though... looking forward to a year of many more miles, now that I'm familiar with the bike...