Carb Cleaning

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebronze

Reaction score
I did a quick search and found 1 incomplete thread about cleaning the carbs on a 1200.... What's/where's the best place to get info on how to do this?? It's totally within My skillset to do this, just need some info... also whats needed as far as seals/gaskets??

Thanx in advance :salute:

thats one more thread than i found ...on 1200 carbs its the diaphams that are the key piece on 1200 carbs they epresent the tops in bike carbs teck just before fuel injsction took over if the diaphams are good them there greay potencal to rebuilding 1200 carbs i was lucky and was able to go through everything and the 1200 carbs i did came out great so far ...as i dont have the bike ready to ride yet ...dont use any rubber damageing products on 1200 carbs if you do like carb cleaners and seafoam your asking for trouble...icant remember much on the rebuild except i was impressed how good i thought the carbs worked with there enricher curcut in them ....

First thing is to get a good manual for that bike. I like the Clymer M504 manual. Very thorough.

Pull the carb set off, clean the outside thoroughly, so all linkages are clean and smooth and you won't get crud on the inside when you open them up. Pull off the top caps, exposing the throttle valves with the diaphrams Joe mentions, remove them and check for hole/cracks and suppleness. Also check the ends of the needles for goo and damage. Then pull off the bowls from the bottom of the carbs. Keep all parts for each carb together. Inspect the main jet and low speed jet for goo and damage. To function properly everything in there has to be clean. So, I pull the jets and clean them with GumOut, clean and inspect the seats, blow out all fuel channels, and reassemble.

I would go at it just like Bobo says and take apart the minimum needed to clean them.
No sense in ordering any kind of kit until you know what you'll need, IMO.
Unless harsh cleaners have gotten to the rubber it's most likely ok to reuse but some seals do get flat and might not seal after being interrupted.

Thanx Guys... off to find a Clymer... LOL ... not had to look for one of those for yrs as I "just knew" how to do all the maint to My other bikes... Wow, getting older sure sux... Hahahahaaaaa

One important thing I forgot to mention: Under NO circumstances use anything metal to clean jet apertures and seats, tips of the throttle needles and the needle (fuel inlet) valve. Not even pipe cleaners. It's soft brass and easy to mess up.

Ya... I kinda figured that... I'm gonna check around and see if anyone I know has an ultrasonic cleaner before I do anything.... If not it's back to the old skool ways... lol. Not in much of a rush, have to wait a few days till the Clymer comes in anyways.

What would You all recommend to use as a carb cleaner?? I don't wanna have to worry about the rubber parts in the carbs... wondering if "Simple Green" would work?? whats best??... What do You say?? also thinking of making my own "ultrasonic cleaner"... saw a few ideas on Youtube and am gonna give it a try.

Automatic transmission fluid thinned with kerosene makes a pretty good cleaner. Simple green works very nice on a lot of it.Brake cleaner is pretty effective on the tough grime but try to keep it off the rubber stuff.

Bobo's carbs were so bad I had to soak them with Gunk and clean off with Gumout a couple of times before I could even start using a toothbrush to get some detailed cleaning done on the outside. Worst carbs I've ever dealt with. Hell, there was CORN in the intake (from mice) when the air filter was off! :help: :crying:

Pulled them off this afternoon.... took about 1/2 hr to get em out. Did a preliminary check(pulled the bowls) Nothing that a new fuel filter once and a while wouldn't have caught... lots of fine rusty crap... waiting till the manual shows up to do the rebuild, but they look pretty simple... I've done a few carb rebuilds over the yrs.. The 39mm Keihin FSC's on My old GSXR got rebuilt every season

IMG342.jpg

IMG343.jpg

99.99% of it cleaned up with a toothbrush and dish soap.... here's to hoping that it will all be as simple as that.

BTW... The motor was CLEAN!!!!

IMG346.jpg

Well the Pine-Sol is the only way to go..... Cleaned 26 yrs worth of crud after a 12hr soak.... just had to hit the carbs with the sprayer from the garden hose and the shit was gone.... I washed and rinsed everything in hot soapy water to remove any reminants of the Pine-Sol.... then with clean water.... Blew all the passages dry with the compressor and they look as good as new... One word of warning though, Don't put painted parts in the Pine-Sol unless You want them stripped...

All in all quite worth the $10.99 for the huge bottle... just be sure to mix it 50/50 with hot water

I'll post pics when there together....

Well.... success, Carbs are back on and it runs... Woo Hoo... Before it struggled to rev to 3000 rpm... now zip right up there. Just need to find Me a carb balance tool and I'll call it done.

Thanx for Your support and patience Guys

BTW... Who needs a stinkin manual :yahoo: