carb rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the last couple of days ive been taking apart a 771000 carb rack ....they were realy in bad shape ....filled with water it looks like for yrs ive gotten everyuthing apart it was :sensored: toget it done ...im not sure what i can do with it as i had one bad moment and broke a float tower ...i got fooled by my eye sight up close it broke pretty darn low so i dont know how to fix it or have a plan .....i dont consider this all that bad as these carbs had two broken or blown apart slides ....ive already got some 79 carb slides and caps all matched pairs ready with the 77 needles installed ....i would have taken pics but my new camera is broke too ......

iguess tomarrow i will try and boil the carbs or some or some kind of soak ...ive also got slow air jet stuck in the carb air hole ...i drop it in there taking it out and it dosent want to drop out ....maybe it will come loose during boiling i hope so.....it was a quite the accomplisment to get this all apart ...imagine the worst senairio poosible and then some :rant: :Awe: :builder: :head bang: :head bang: :rant: :doh: :nea: :headscratch: :builder: :builder: :crying: :mrgreen:

use pure lemon juice to boil them in but do it on a campstove outside. Stinks really bad. Cleans things up nice rinse well with clean water and dry with compressed air if possible. There will be a light white powder residue on all aluminum parts. It will wipe off with a little bit of wd40 and a rag. If you have a very small set of tap and die you can install a new tower.

for the lack of access to go outside and do anything im dioing a dry cleaning on the carbs ....basicly a terry cloth rub out on the carb bodies i am going to bring in a small air compresser to help clear all the passages alone with other stuff .....things are going well ...and who knows i might be done soon.....lots of jets and small stuff to clean..... :mrgreen:

man i just finish with the two carb sets ...obviously the carbs had a flash fire inside them ....blew two slidea apart and smashed the end on the inner slide....rolled it right up on the outside of it ....and then the butterflys on one set of carbs was blown about 50 degrees pass where it was suppose to stop ....that took forever to figure out ......

i must say i was lucky that the 79 rack use most of the same parts .....

everybody knows that i use atf in the gas ....when i took the mongruels carbs apart everything was clean as can be ....the jets ...the carb bodys...floats ....hardware .....just in excellent shape ....

the things that werent good was all was all the through shafts everyone of then leaked ..... and over aggressive carb job about 8yrs ago started it slow demiss i think probably.....but theres at least 60,000 miles on the carbs since last off the bike and the insides look like they were just done im so impressed in no way did ithink they would look like this .......

antway im hoping to be done tomarrow as for cleaning and fixing things ....there was just no wat i could send money on this rack before seeing if it going to work out ......i dont think ive ever tried to fix such a bunch of junk like these carbs ......

i knew something big had to happen to blow the lower slides right through the top peice of the slide :doh: :hihihi: :whistling: :mrgreen:

joedrum":2qmdsr43 said:
the last couple of days ive been taking apart a 771000 carb rack ....they were realy in bad shape ....filled with water it looks like for yrs ive gotten everyuthing apart it was :sensored: toget it done ...im not sure what i can do with it as i had one bad moment and broke a float tower ...i got fooled by my eye sight up close it broke pretty darn low so i dont know how to fix it or have a plan .....i dont consider this all that bad as these carbs had two broken or blown apart slides ....ive already got some 79 carb slides and caps all matched pairs ready with the 77 needles installed ....i would have taken pics but my new camera is broke too ......

iguess tomarrow i will try and boil the carbs or some or some kind of soak ...ive also got slow air jet stuck in the carb air hole ...i drop it in there taking it out and it dosent want to drop out ....maybe it will come loose during boiling i hope so.....it was a quite the accomplisment to get this all apart ...imagine the worst senairio poosible and then some :rant: :Awe: :builder: :head bang: :head bang: :rant: :doh: :nea: :headscratch: :builder: :builder: :crying: :mrgreen:
How about heating things a bit with a small torch as to expand the aluminum a sinch :headscratch: .

Mine are cleaning up fair so far. I got the outsides sand blasted so the rust and scale is now gone. All the linkage moves again. I'll open them up soon.

i am happy to have everything back together on the 77 carbs ...the only thing left to do is fix the float tower that i broke :Doh2: :nea: :rant: :whip: :hihihi: :mrgreen: and set the floats .....

imgoing to ponder this awhile now that ive made it this far ......theres no doubt that these carbs had a huge trauma event and i dont think they have fed a piston gas since....

we will see soon if they ever do again as a set ...im pretty confident that they will .....im going to put them on the 82 1100 test cheeta as the 82 is fast and the early carbs are suppose to make it faster ....this will be early 1000 cam and carb switch :mrgreen:

Latest posts