Central Texas

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manlyman

Reaction score
New guy here. Names David, live on lake LBJ in central Texas. Have owned my wing for over 10yrs now and haven't had any major problems with it until now! I think it's a rod bearing. Blaaaaaaaaa. Found this site looking for answers to rebuilding the engine. Bike is in mint condition!! Riding season is just starting and now a rebuild. Oh well. Have a nice shop to do it in, the "mc shop". Share it with my best friend of 30yrs. He has a 83 1100 Kawasaki that he has just about rebuilt. Nice bike! Look forward to meeting you all and getting help.

Thanks,
David

Welcome to the CGW forums, David!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Lots of good info here, and folks that have been there, done that. Check out the "Tips & Tricks" forum for some good info, as well as any of "Roady's" tutorials. :read:

Welcome from North TEXAS DFW area East by Lakes Ray hubbard/Lavon... does it remain constant at idle and speed up when engine increases??? loss of power??? Take a long screw driver and hold it on the block at the center and see if it is coming from there.. (or go to Harbor freight and buy the stethascope..)

Before you tear into it, check the stator bolt and make sure it hasn't backed out on you, if that happens it will sound like the engine is tearing itelf apart.

Thanks guys for all the input. I did read about the stator bolt, not the problem. I did read that carbs out of sinc will cause the same problem. It doesn't knock at idle, there is a slight sound as I bring the rpms up standing still. It only happen under a load. The knock doesn't start until about 3000 rpms. I can let off the gas a little noise will go away. At cruise very slight can get back on gas noise increases let off no noise. I did have heads and off for head gasket change but noise didn't start right away. Had a few hundred miles on it before all this started.

Does it sound like this?

Or like this?

If so, I am here to tell you that my engine has over 6000 miles since it started sounding like this and is still running!

Latest posts