CFI ECU Tuning and Data Analysis Software

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a follow on thread to my the 1985 Limited edition and 1986 SE-i Fuel Injection Motorcycles: https://classicgoldwings.com/thread...d-1986-se-i-fuel-injection-motorcycles.14941/. I enjoy anything EFI.

This thread will look at the tuning software, Tuner Studio, and data analysis software, MegaLogViewer (MLV). These software applications, licensed versions are powerful tools that allow the user to calibrate/configure/modify the engine tune for maximum engine performance and fuel economy. The existing CFI system, especially the engine tune, is a compromise resulting in good street performance and fuel economy.

These software applications in conjunction with an aftermarket ECU provides the rider/user with the ability to better tune the engine for performance and fuel economy, and address operation issues. The ability to have access to the various features/functions of the ECU is a game changer with these motorcycles, considering that this ability has not been available to the rider/user to date. This is not to say that a rider/user would delve into this, but it would be available.

Discussing these software applications should give riders with an FI motorcycle, or cars/trucks for that matter, a good insight into an EFI installation. How the fuel injectors are controlled, how does the battery voltage affect the FI system operation, and so on.

This thread is for information only, and maybe, be a tipping point for many who may think about undertaking an EFI conversion, or doing an upgrade/modernization project because access to the existing ECU is not available. This is not to say that changing to an aftermarket ECU guarantees the user access to the tuning software, data analysis applications - may be a proprietary issue.

I am the primary recipient of the benefit(s) from doing a thread such as this as I use the TS and MLV software applications on a regular basis. The more I delve into these software applications, the more I learn how these software applications enhance the engine tuning experience.

Enough of a preamble. Cheers

The engine tuning, Tuner Studio (TS), and data analysis, MegalogViewer (MLV), software applications, are from EFI Analytics. These software applications, the licensed versions, are powerful tools that you use to do the engine tune, and analyze the engine performance data.

Starting with Tuner Studio. This software application is where you begin the engine tuning process. A significant amount of component data is required to start the project engine tune. There are accepted EFI components that are used in many EFI conversion/installations, and because of this, there is component data available for your project.

Using EFI components that are not regularly used, or are components of an OEM proprietary system and you have no component data, will result in an experimentation process to "dial" in the component in question.

There are generic data settings recommended for most EFI components from which you can start the engine tuning process, after which you will have to proceed with an experimental process to "dial" in the EFI component in question.

The VE(fuel), spark (ignition timing), and AFR tables will need to be populated/calibrated as you start the engine tuning process. There are "wedge" tables used for this process. This where table cell values are estimated and used to do an initial engine start.

The VE (fuel) table is the most important of the three tables used for normal engine operation. The cell values represent a percentage of the total amount of fuel required for wide open throttle (WOT)/full power operation. For example, a cell value of "35" represents a fuel requirement of 35% of the 100% fuel requirement. This cell value and other system parameters are use to calculate the required fuel for a given MAP/RPM reading.

On initial engine start, the VE(fuel) table cell values may not be what is required and you will have to adjust the cell values to suit. The Speeduino forum collective agrees that the first order of business is to get a handle on engine feeling at idle and normal operating temperature. This is done by changing the VE table cell values to provide the required fuel at idle. When you adjust the cell values it must be remembered that the lower the cell value. less fuel will be injected into the engine leaning out the air-fuel mixture, a larger number will result in more fuel being injected into the engine creating a rich air-fuel mixture.

Another truism is to give the engine what it wants. This means that you give the engine the require fuel and ignition timing for a specific MAP/RPM combination. To do this you first adjust the VE table cell values, up or down, then adjust the ignition timing to suit. You continue to do this until the engine has what it needs.

Ignition timing is relatively straight forward when dealing with the original OEM installation. You ensure the crank and camshafts are aligned properly, then if so inclined you can use a timing light to ensure the idle timing is in accordance with the OEM specifications. Having done this there are no further engine timing checks to be done, timing is now fixed as per the OEM design.

The challenge is to try and mimic the OEM CFI system operation. Honda's CFI system design uses a set of EFI components that Honda has made work and work well. Component data is non-existent so a WAG may be required.

Initial ignition timing is 10 degrees BTDC at approximately 1000 RPM, and full advance is 45 degrees BTDC, no RPM specified. This is also predicated on a fuel system operating pressure of 28 to 32 PSI. The fuel injectors are rated at 284 cc/min or 315 cc/min depending on the servicing shop. You will have to enter a derated fuel injector value in the engine tuning software to get close to the original engine operation.

The OEM VE and spark tables are a compromise resulting in good engine performance and fuel economy. Having the ability to adjust/modify/calibrate the engine tune can result in better engine performance and fuel economy.

My '85 1200 GW FI model is capable of achieving a fuel economy of 45 to 50 IMPG. This indicates that the engine is using approximately 5 litres per 100 Km, a lean air-fuel ratio. This is an operation parameter worth aspiring to.

The engine tune that you may settle on, may not be as envisioned, or as per the OEM design specifications.. Engine timing may be significantly different.

The AFR table is not used during the initial engine tuning phase, only after you have a well calibrated VE and spark tables. You should, when changing to a new aftermarket ECU, install a wide band oxygen sensor (WBO2). The WBO2 sensor provides an indication of the air-fuel mixture, how rich or lean the engine is operating, and assist in adjusting/calibrating the VE and spark tables. Calibrating/adjusting the VE and spark tables can be done without a WBO2 sensor, but is more challenging. This table can be populated in its entirety with generic cell values of 14.7 at the onset.

There are a number of engine tuning parameters that do not need to be used at the onset of the engine tune. These parameters that will be discussed as this thread progresses, should be disabled or turned off, and only enabled/turned on after the initial engine tune is done.

This post sets the stage for the what will follow in this thread. MegaLogViewer will be discussed as well and how it complements the Tuner Studio software application.

Having access to an engine tuning software may bring into focus an old idiom "ignorance is bliss". I mention this because the information available to the user can bring into question what the engine performance is. There are a significant amount of settings/parameters/features/functions that you get to "play" with. A disciplined approach is need to keep oneself from going down the proverbial rabbit hole whenever the way ahead is not going as one would like. Another idiom is BTDT, I have been the recipient of this, self-induced mind you.

Cheers

Latest posts