Changing the exhaust on the old girl.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plskthompson1

Reaction score
I've been looking at ways to change the exhaust on my wing. Over the past summer I noticed that I had some leaks on the right side. They aren't much more than pin holes, but they are enough to bother me. I got to reading Roady's thread about using Sportster mufflers, and decided I might go that route. But instead of using sportys, decided to go a slightly different route.

Anyone that has seen Roady's right up knows that his are pointing just slightly upward from level, and still they look great on a naked bike. My bike is still a full dresser, so I wanted some that would look good coming from underneath the saddle bags, sooooooo. I went in to the HD shop close to where I work and ask what used mufflers they had for their dressers. After looking at me like I had three heads for a minute, the guy behind the counter goes to the back and gets me a set of mufflers from an 07 Dyna. Just the look I was going for. So after giving the guy $20 for the mufflers, he ask what I am going to use them on and I tell him that I have an 80 GoldWing that I'm doing the exhaust on. Again, here we go with the look like I have three heads.

I didn't want to cut the headers off of my original exhaust for two reasons, 1 the exhaust it self is still in relatively good condition minus the pin holes. 2 The pin holes can be welded up without much effort and then reused if I don't like the Dyna's on the wing. So, I stumbled across a set of headers from a 1000 that I got for $25 including the shipping. Not a bad deal considering the price they're going for on Ebay.

Now there is an issue with the mid pipe and hangers for the mufflers. For the hangers, I bought a piece of 1" bar stock and plan on making my own to mount on the bolts that hold the saddle bags on through the bottom. As for the mid pipe, I went to Auto Zone and picked up a flexible exhaust repair tube, the one's that you can bend to just about what every shape you need.

I cleaned the headers up and sprayed them and the flex tube with high temp black paint and then a couple of coats of clear just to bring back the shine. That stuff layed on so smooth it looks like they're powder coated. I'm still in the process of making the hangers for the mufflers and I need to get an adapter for the flex tube to fit the muffler, but so far they look really good, IMHO. I'll post pics and a video with sound once I get both sides completely done.

I'll have to start taking pics when I do the left side. I didn't even think about it when I started on the left. :swoon: :cheeky: :head bang:

That's exactly what I'm doing this winter, except I have roadking mufflers. Since you've started, you definitely have to post pictures, especially of the flex pipe installed. And pics of the side you've already started would be great!

Pics pics pics pics pics pics pics :beg: :clapping: :beg: :clapping: :beg: :clapping: :beg:

unfortunately no. I only get to work on her a couple of days a week as I work 12hrs a night Thurs- Sun and Monday I sleep.

Ok, guys, I pretty well got one side on, I just have to button a few things up, but you can get the jist of the set up.
Parts list:
Headers
Metal for a hanger
Connectors
Crush Gaskets
Flex tube
Clamps
HD mufflers of your choice

I started with a set of headers from a GL1000 that I picked up on the cheap. I painted them with BBQ high temp paint.
Photo_121409_001.jpg

From there I put on an 1 5/8" ID connector with a 1 3/4"OD to fit the 1 3/4" ID flex pipe that I bought. This part might need some gentle persuasion to get it to fit just right. Now, for future reference or for someone wanting to do this to their bike, I would recommend getting the 1 5/8" ID flex pipe if you are able to find it as it will cut down on the number of connections you have to make. :oops:
Photo_121409_007.jpg

Photo_121409_008.jpg

From there I used a 1 7/8" ID reducer to mate the 1 3/4" ID mufflers with the 1 3/4" ID flex tube. If you were to use the 1 5/8" ID flex pipe, you could possibly get away with out a connector here depending on how thick the wall of you tubing is.
Photo_121409_009.jpg

To hang the muffler, I bought a 1" wide steal bar and made a couple of brackets and bolted them to the saddle bag stay and used the existing mount point on the HD Dyna mufflers to bolt it to.
Photo_121409_004.jpg

I still have finish cutting the bar to length for the muffler mounts, but you get the idea behind the whole set up. It is nothing fancy, but I like the way it looks so far. I don't have any of the plastics on the bike right now as I am getting them ready for paint, but I'm sure this mod is going to make a big difference in the end.
Photo_121409_010.jpg

I'll try to get a video for a sound demo ASAP.

Hey that's looking pretty good and the step by step installation is much appreciated!

I have a set of 1000 headers I've been wanting to put HD mufflers on so this thread is just the ticket for me!

:cool!: I Like :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :music: :music: :music:
This is great for those without a welder close by.
Winger 82

use to use the ole flex pipe yrs ago on some cars I had them the good ole state of pa or at least this area banded flex pipe for inspections, but I see it's available in my favorite parts store again, better stock up :salute: :salute:

There is flex pipe ( bends easy and is in a spring wound style) and there is seamless bendable pipe.. has ridges and grooves can be bent but does not slip between rings like flex pipe.... so to each YMMV..

I think the wrap is a good idea. Exhaust problems are big with goldwings stock sound is hard to come by and meatier sound is hard to get just right. Good luck. On mine I welded and patched things up. To where I could run 4 inch pipe the rest of the way back just bearly cleared everything . It was loud at highway speed but when I changed final drive and lowered the rpm highway speed I was ok with it . Most of the time I really like the way it sounds. A lot quieter than harleys joedrum.

That's a great idea O-man. Wish I would have thought of that before. I might just do that pretty soon.

Here's the video of what she sounds like, it's not great sound as I had to use my phone for the video, and I'm the only person here, but you get the idea. It wasn't exactly the sound I was going for, but it works. :music2: :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0z4EyM6-gI

I tried to embed the video to avoid having to follow the link, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. Enjoy.

That sounds pretty darn good!

I added the youtube code.
To make it play in the post put [video] at the beginning of the link and [/video] at the end.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0z4EyM6-gI[/video]

Thanks for the step by step... I would love to put HD mufflers on my interstate
I was always worried cause the people i read about that did the mod, Did it on a naked bike and what i saw by looking at the picture if i did the same on my interstate, The pipes would stop half way under the bags and that wouldnt be good, That flex pipe is a good idea

oh man, that just sounds flat out mean! I pulled my stock exhaust off yesterday. Can't wait to get the roadking mufflers on there. I hope it sounds like yours. Who needs that quiet, sewing machine sound anyway!