Clarion radio sort-of works. I'd like it to actually work.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck c

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the AM-FM and intercom model. It powers up, picks up radio, makes sound. The buttons don't all work. Some don't respond at all. I think the only problem is the contacts are corroded and cleaning them would bring it back to 100%. I can't figure out how to get the case open to work on it. I removed all the tiny screws in the back but won't open. Is it just stuck from age or is there another trick to it?

Sierra electronics will repair for $100... that seems their standard rate on these... they have the experience, knowledge, and proper parts if there is more work needed... Not trying to discourage you, but just adding there is help available

Thanks, I did turn them up searching here but the $100 plus $25 shipping is a bit more than it's worth to me. I have heard of guys bypassing that control and hooking up Ipods and such to the amp alone. If I can't get the Clarion to work I think I'll go that way.

I had the back of mine open, I cant remember anything particular, I did take the front knobs off, pretty sure I removed the front plate too but I dont remember if I had too or did it for access to the whole unit.
I did find a couple solder joints that were bad and that did restore my tuning function, one was about center on the board and the other was nearby it. I just re heated them and added a touch of fresh solder.
I`ll take a look at mine tomarrow and try and refresh my memory , If your still having trouble I`ll take mine apart and give you better info.

OK..Took mine out and apart, you have 9 screws on the back cover there is a weather seal that may stick but it does come off just be sure all 9 screws are out.
After that looking inside on all 4 corners you have brass screw extentions, take the knobs off the front first then unscrew the screws and carefully lift out the steel chassis.
You will see there is a 45 pin plug and below a chassis brace. Those will come off by pulling on either side of the chassis and pulling them out(careful of the circuit board ribbon wire on the left), this will expose the circuit board,and pots/buttons.
Look on the board with a magnifying glass for bad solder joints and with some electrical spray clean the pots/contact.
Use real electrical cleaner not contact cleaner. The electrical spray has a lubricant that doesnt dry out and keeps knobs and things working good. Be sure and clean the pin connector too.

Do not use anything marked" electric motor cleaner" or brake cleaner, it needs to be marked electric contact cleaner or electronic cleaner. Electric motor cleaner is a lot more aggressive, it will dissolve/weld together plastics.

Latest posts