clicking sound?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just clicked on this thread since it came up on the bottom of the forum pages, but wanted to add a little tip for finding noises other than mechanical noises, such as lifters, pulley bearings, etc. If you think it may be an exhaust, or vacuum leak that you are hearing, a screwdriver/wooden dowel will not work. Get you a short(10"-12" or longer if needed) section of 5/8" or 3/4" heater hose, and use that as your stethoscope. Put one end against your ear, and move the other end around the area where you think hear the noise. You'll be able to pin-point the source of your leak.....kinda like the old days when hard-of-hearing folks used a funnel to their ear(s) to help hear. :good: :mrgreen:

I had that same problem trying to find what that clicking sound is. These older bikes, more so old goldwings tend to get a little noisier the more miles that get put on them. I have taken Bear to a few shops to find out what that noise really is and it was just the valves. Even after having them adjusted, they were still a little noisy. Even with replacing the gaskets, when you ride with your helmet off, your going to be looking for it and you will still hear it.

Properly set valves are supposed to be heard. If they grow quiet they are too tight and likely to burn. I personally like to hear that sound.