clicking sound?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskaWing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hearing a clicking sound when I ride with my helmet off.

I can hear it when the bike is idling if I put my ear down by the engine.

The thing is running great, and I am not even sure if this is a new sound or one that was there all the time and now I am just noticing it.

It seems to be coming from the valve cover on the right side, but I cannot even really be sure of that.

It does increase as the engine RPMs increase.

Suggestions????

Attachments

• Engine Sound 1.MOV
    2.3 MB
  • Engine Sound 2.MOV
    2 MB
I can't hear it just now. My speakers are old and noisy.But a clicking or tapping at idle that increases with rpm is likely a loose valve lifter. If the motor runs good it's a comforting sound really. Too tight valves can be burnt more easily.
Good call by Omega. That too can sound like a clicking. Listen close to valve covers and along exhaust and see if you can find the source.

To help locate the sound easier get a long wooden handled screwdriver , place the tip against the rocker cover and the wooden handle against the ear. This acts as a stethoscope and will amplify the sound if it is coming from the valve lifters.

Just a thought - hope it helps.

I'm still trying to find a friend with a wooden handled screwdriver.

Of course it was raining and I do all my work in the driveway, so I was in no hurry to kneel on the wet asphalt! :-(

I will get under there tonight!

Where are the exhaust studs, exactly???

just under the head where the exhaust pipes meet it ....12mm wrench is the size don't get crazy here at all ...just make sure there not loose and don't over tighten at all ...

:mrgreen:

When I did my stator, I found there were two sets of crush washers in the exhaust ports on mine, but it dint leak. I dug those out, and installed new ones when I put it back together.....and one side leaked. Then when I did the heads, I put another set of new ones in, and....they leak too. :rant:
I have another new set of crush washers I bought a while back, but have not installed them as of yet. Anyway, mine definitely makes a "tick-tick" noise due to the leak there, especially when it's cold. Once it warms up, it gets a little better, but you can still hear it.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83844#p83844:c2zg0us1 said:
joedrum » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:21 am[/url]":c2zg0us1]just under the head where the exhaust pipes meet it ....12mm wrench is the size don't get crazy here at all ...just make sure there not loose and don't over tighten at all ...

They were all tight.

Could be a pin hole in the exhaust. Or one of the exhaust gaskets leaking in spite of bolts being tight.

So...when I pulled the left front plug the sound may have stopped. I cannot be 100% positive because the engine changes rpm's a tiny bit as well so it was hard to be absolutely sure. But the other three definitely had no effect, but that one seemed to.

It is odd if that is where the problem is, because it seems like I can hear it better from the other side.

So...the pipe coming out of the engine shows more rust than any place else on the bike (as if there is no real protection applied to it). Do I need to replace something? Apply a bit of epoxy? or is it just a noise that will click away for years and never be a real problem.

I will still get my friends wood screwdriver and make sure that this is where the sound is originating.

A small exhaust leak certainly won't hurt anything, but can be annoying. It would be good to know for sure if that's what's causing the sound. If the pipes are badly rusted, you might keep a lookout for a better exhaust system.

Good call - fuel pump and tach drive are both on the right side, and both potential "clickers"... Valve clearance adjustment was also mentioned by Slabghost, have you checked that?

I think I am narrowing it down. Found a long wood handled screwdriver and listened to the lifters. Not the source of the sound (but pretty cool to listen to).

Then laid under the bike and listened all over, trying to isolate the source of the click. Never did seem any louder with the screwdriver, but... under the left front cylinder there is a bit of black, possibly from some sort of leak where the exhaust comes out???

Oil under the bike.JPG

I also noticed that I am leaking a bit of oil from the gasket under the ??Rocker Covers???. On the same side. But when I ran my hand under the cover on the other side it comes up with a bit of oil on it as well....

So....I suppose I need to replace some gaskets???

Anybody want to tell me what I need (where to get it) and how to do it????

Also...can the oil leaking be a result of switching to thinner oil??? Thinning the oil made the clutch not slip under hard, high speed acceleration.

Sounds like you need valve cover gaskets. Oil viscosity should have no effect on leaks, if a gasket is leaking it is going to leak with any oil. You local Honda shop should have them or be able to get them, or you can check out Ebay and possibly save a few bucks.
About fainding noise source. Pick up an automotive stethescope from your local autosupply, they are inexpesnsive and really help isolating noises. I'm one that believes in using the proper tool for the job. I know that isn't always possible especially with the expensive tools but the proper tool makes the job so much eaiser.

Ok...so I bought the valve cover gasket. And 2 crush washers for the exhaust.

I am going to tackle those leaks!

I think that for now I will stick to working on the left side this weekend. Any suggestions...tutorials...advice?

Latest posts