clutch......

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.man

Reaction score
Up untill now I havnt drove my bike yet. I bought it for 500 so I figured it had probs I checked all the fluids cleaned the carbs swapped out plugs...al that good stuff..well I got it running awesome I had it out in the yard and it started down pooring I thought well its running screw pushing into the garage again.I hopped on started her up pulled the clutch in and hit the gear and it jerked and stalled but I still had the clutch disengaged. So I pushed it...:( I was looking at the play and it has about a inch, inch and a half play in it is that too much or do I have bigger problems

And that is accomplished by where the cable attaches to the lever those two bolts right there?

Yea obviously I need learn more bout this site cuz I looked in the manual on hear it was ch9 for the clutch and I didntsee Iit anywhere in there thats why I asked...I dont suppose you know the bolt sizes for the seat mts and the false tank mts would ya?

Guess I shoulda looked a little harder im a little limited..im on a phone no computer access thanks anyway

Idk ive never messed with a clutch I mean im good at fixing things but never messed with one where do I start is it a wet clutch where do I put oil in? I definitely need help

The clutch adjustment is a procedure with more than one place to set tolerances. You need to do as the sheets in the manual say, adjust the clutch lifter, then adjust the cable at the clutch and then the cable end at the handlebar lever. The tolerances are on those sheets. I went back and read this from the start and you said that you checked the fluids. I noticed that you did not change the oil. It is possible, like Dan said, that the plates are stuck together, depending on the condition of the oil that was left in it, how long it sat up not running. Condensation from temperature changes and contaminated oil can cause corrosion on the clutch plate surfaces and cause them to stick together. I would crank the engine to warm it, then drain the oil first to see what comes out of it. Then I would do and engine flush with like two quarts of cheap oil and1 1/2 quarts of automatic trans fluid, let it idle for about 10 minutes, shut it off and let it set for a day or two. Drain the flush mixture out, replace the filter and fill with the proper oil, adjust the clutch by procedure and see what you got. That's what I would do, you might wait and get other recommendations from some of the other guys before deciding. If it doesn't work, you may have to pull the clutch discs to soak, separate and access plate damage. The clutch is a wet clutch and runs in the engine oil so there is no special place for just to add oil for the clutch. If this doesn't work you will already have fresh oil to reuse and a new filter on it when you do get it working.

Sorry Brian, wasn't trying to step on your toes, we obviously were thinking alike.

What type of oil is the best for these bikes.I had no clue the clutch oil was ran from the engine oil I already chnge the oil and filter but I will go through the procedure and see what I got and like I say on all my post Im on a phone its hard to see the manual pages thats why I ask

Yea im in michigan but thats what I hear was rotello. Thank you for your help by the way im good with manuals but I can make them out on my phone im jus gonna have to break down and buy one

While you're letting it run for a while, pull and release the clutch regularly, holding it in for 30 seconds or so each time. This will help the oil get between the plates. After you shut it off, wire or clamp the clutch lever pulled in, and let it sit overnight in the disengaged position. Then, tomorrow - or whenever you get to it - put the bike in 1st gear with the engine off. Try rocking the bike back and forth to try breaking the clutch free. This is how I did it on my '80 that had sat for 6 years, and it finally broke free and worked fine. Best of luck with it!

Edit: - Woo-hoo!! My 2000th post!! - :Egyptian: :hi:

Just stay with regular oils. Those specifically made for motorcycles is always good but Rotella and others are too. Just avoid "enhanced lubricity" oils and oils that state they get you better mpg. They have additives in them that will cause your wet clutches to slip or quit engaging at all.

Latest posts