Coil confusion.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85goldwing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 85 gl1200i. It is not been on the road for sometime. I am attaching 2 pics from the factory service manual i have. the picture with the text is telling me that the coils should be connected as follows i believe. Port/Left side of the bike should have coil wires connected to cylinders 2-4 and starboard/right side to cylinders 1-3. The wiring diagram in the second picture shows one coil connected to cylinders 1-2 and the other to cylinders 3-4. Being this is a service manual and i am a very literal person, i am confused. Which cylinders do the port and starboard coils actually go to?

Attachments

• coil mounting-1.jpg
    coil mounting-1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • coil mounting-2.jpg
    coil mounting-2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Indeed I agree pidjones. Then look at the second picture, which comes from the same manual. It looks to state that 1-4 go together and 2-3 go together. Kind like wearing watches that tell different times. Follow instructions or wiring diagram seems to be the ?

The 1985 GL1200 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual has the right coil for cylinders 1 and 2, the left coil for cylinders 3 and 4. My 1200 uses this coil setup.

Everything I have seen regarding this indicates that the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual is correct. The OEM Service Manual and the Clymer Manual is incorrect.

Latest posts