conversion of Ole BETSY

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wilcoy was there locktight applied to the crankbolt, or is that needed, do you think it just wasn't tight enough? Man I think that sucks , I gotta ask this question and please don't get upset at me, but did you put it in gear with the brake on to tighten it back or maybe with someone's weight on it..I'm going to use locktight on mine now I think.. and do that tighten process as I removed it, thank you Dan Filipi for that.... King Kong himself won't break it loose..The way mine is designed the pulley will only back off as far as the keyway then it will just spin if the crank bolt ever came loose.. All I can say is wow...Hang in there it was just a minor clich...don't beat yourself over it, carry on friend..carry on..Oh and for the cost, it's priceless man when your doing something like this, once it's is all good and figured out it will be priceless, you don't see many Harley's with exterior alt. now do you..Shoot man..this is cool stuff. so tell me what does a set of tires cost, around $200.00 or so right, so your getting all this extra power and making it easy if the alt. ever fails that beats the heck out of pulling the engine..to replace the stator, again priceless..it's worth it..

I have not gone out to the garage to see if it is leaking or any damage yet.After 3 solid day on it I am taking a break from it for a while. Will wait for the pulley from country to arrive to put it all back together.

Yes the tinkering is a worthwhile hobby. I only kept track of the cost to see if it was chaeper than a new stator.
It definatly is worth doing this conversion as it gets me a heated clothing and more lights with power to spare.

I tightened mine with an ole' electric impact wrench :swoon: ,.....wrong thing to do! And also used the lock tight but the end result was :shock: so much torque in tightening the bolt I bent the face-plate and made for a little wobble :swoon: !!! Tried to bend it back in shape but no go :headscratch: !! So I had to buy another one and this time torque it to specs and use the fabulous lock tight!! And by the why you will know if you use it or not :yes: !! I have to use the impact wrench now just to get it off after using that stuff!! I'm in the process of waiting for parts :smilie_happy: so enjoy the RR!! Good luck also, :hi: Bob

If anyone needs the 8 ga wire I had someone give me a bunch and I have about 7 ft extra. It may even be 6 ga.
If you need it let me know and it will be sent out to you.

joedrum":wqaqgxcl said:
hmmm you guys are getting close to the front wheel with the raditor mods be careful...this is looking realy close here ...maybe its the angle ...there no doutb that moving the radiatoe forward is going into front wheel territory

Finally had time to look. No damage. I removed the belt and pulley. Put the original bolt with a drilled out hole back in. Finally got to ride for the first time this spring.

You are very correct. While on a downslope I pushed hard and my buddy says I had less than 1/2inch to the fender.
This does need to be corrected.
Thank you for your concern.

wilcoy what was the gap measurement at the bottom of the radiator, what did you end up with..?Or how far did you have to come out?

Latest posts