Coolant level

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave

Reaction score
Post by Joep reminded me of this one.
Check coolant level often,
Having a temp guage is not enough because when the coolant drops below the temp sender you will be reading air temp which will be 10 - 20C lower to start with and by the time the engine blows won't be much above outside air temp if all the coolant is gone.
You can set up a little science class for the kids or grandkids by suspending a themometer over a boiling pot and compare readings between water and air temps and also with an empty pot on the same stove setting.
This also means that if warm-up is taking longer, check coolant. Temp guage don't seem to be working correctly, check coolant. Temp appears to drop, pannick, and stop and check coolant.

Good points Dave.

Also just because the reservoir has coolant doesn't mean there's coolant in the radiator.

Coolant flows back and forth between the radiator and the reservoir as a closed system and depends on a leak free cooling system to operate correctly, this includes the recovery hose and tube within the recovery tank. If the hose or tube have even just a small crack, coolant might not get drawn back into the radiator. Cycling over time like this can result in a very low radiator and overheating.

These bikes are old. All the rubber is constantly deteriorating so it becomes necessary to check into problems alittle deeper than you would normally on a newer bike or car sometimes.

I agree and would like to add that when I swapped engines recently, I pulled the resevoir to clean it out and there was a tiny bit of oil in it (about 3 oz). Could have been a leaking seal, head problem or whatever, but the oil mixed with the coolant making a goo that clogged up the hose! Resevoir never needed coolant? I did not know that the hose was clogged! Luckily, the engine did not overheat and I did not have any coolant leaks. But it could easily have been a disaster!