cracked bolt

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n.chalifoux

Reaction score
hey guys, just cracked a bolt while removing a manifold. There's about 3mm of bolt left sticking out which i can just barely grab onto with pliers.

Anyone have any tricks for getting that sucker outta there?

OK What I would do is spray the bolt with rust buster. Take a drill bit of a reasonable size matched to an easy out. Deill into the bolt deep enough to use the easy oout Or you could use a reverse drill bit if you are lucky. The key is to soak the bolt with rust buster. there are several diferent extractors available. Harbour Fright sells a bolt extractor set also Sears and other tool stores

toytender01":27o3qlsu said:
OK What I would do is spray the bolt with rust buster. Take a drill bit of a reasonable size matched to an easy out. Deill into the bolt deep enough to use the easy oout Or you could use a reverse drill bit if you are lucky. The key is to soak the bolt with rust buster. there are several diferent extractors available. Harbour Fright sells a bolt extractor set also Sears and other tool stores
I would do it this way too, just like he says but I would heat the area really well with a blow dryer or heat gun before turning it out...

littlebeaver":1bmdxcqe said:
toytender01":1bmdxcqe said:
I would do it this way too, just like he says but I would heat the area really well with a blow dryer or heat gun before turning it out...

Yep, giver some heat, that helps alot. Getter her warmed up...... :good: :good:

update on the bolt situation,

Tried a few different solvents now with heat and have had no luck getting the bolt out,
Then tried a scoring a groove into the bolt to get at it with a flat head. twisted the bit and bent the top of the bolt.
Then drilled into the bolt and hammered a torque star into it. The bit itself twisted and then broke of in the bolt when i began cranking on it.

I can't believe how stubborn this bolt is!!!
Planning now to drill it out and use an aluminum thread insert. Any thoughts on inserts vs re-tapping?

Drilling a steel bolt in an aluminum hole is not gonna be an easy thing to do. Your drill bit is gonna wanna walk off to the side into the softer metal. Then you'll wish't you'd left it alone. DOH!

You will need a nice flat surface on the bolt to start with. Then you will need a way to keep centered and straight.
I've googled for a picture but can't find what I have, but I use a set of drill guides that work pretty good for getting my drill bit centered and helps to keep it straight. This is a hollow guide for the drill bit, and it's inside a threaded nut. At one end, I can get the threads started on the broken bolt if it extrudes past the surface. If the bolt broke below the surface, the other end of the guide is threaded on the outside like a bolt and I can get it started on maybe one or two threads in the bolt hole. I hope you can imagine what I'm describing well enough to think of a way to fabricate what you need. The key to your success in drilling out a steel bolt in aluminum is to drill a pilot all the way through the center. Then keep stepping up in drill size until you get the bolt so thin that you can just pick the threads from the inner wall. Chase it with a tap and you're done.

Have you tried welding a nut over the end of the bolt?

It's hard to drill out a steel bolt in an aluminum case. The drill will tend to walk off to the side and into the softer metal. The key to success is to start the drilling process exactly centered, and drill straight through the bolt. When using a hand drill this will require a drill guide. Once your pilot is centered and straight, then you can step up drill sizes until the bolt is so thin you can use a tap to remove the remains of the old bolt. I am showing this tool that I have and use frequently. Once you see what it is, perhaps you can use the idea to get creative and make what you need. Maybe you can find a banjo bolt the right size to make something that will work for you. Or maybe you will know what to look for when browsing through your local harbor freight. Broken bolts can be hard to deal with sometimes. And if you're not patient and careful, you could end up with a bigger mess than what you started with. Therefore, everyone is encouraged to add their thoughts and ideas to this.

gallery/image.php?album_id=888&image_id=8318

https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/gallery/album.php?album_id=116

it's out! Had to rig up the drill press onto the side of the bike and switch to a carbide bit to chew through it. Managed to save the threads too. Thanks for the help guys