cycle seems to have small pops in the left side and doesn't want to idle

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkhot08

Reaction score
Hi guys I got the 83 goldwing out saturday and it had a pop in the left side at lower rpms.. at higher speeds it did not pop but you could tell it wasn't what it should be.. I bought some new spark plugs and it didn't seem to change the way it ran.. But it ran really smooth last fall when I put it away. Could the carbs have gotten crud in them over the winter? Any help on what to check would be helpful :oops:

I think crud got in there while sitting.
Run a can of Seafoam spread over 2 tank fulls. May take care of it. If not it may just take care of itself with miles.
I hear good things about Chevron with Techron, worth a try.

Hey Dan; thanks I'll give that a try and hopefully it will work, I got to run 22 mi ea. way to work so maybe that will work thru it ...... carl

check your exhaust nuts and make sure they are tight.. mine were not real tight when I pulled my exhausts off.. used a box end wrench to remove them..

Also, be careful tighening those nuts that you do not cause the stud to be pulled into the head! I just found out that my '81 engine that always leaked oil on the right side was because the stud was over tightened and it cut into the head!

Hey DAN.. I got the old girl out today and run here for another 50 miles and the popping is down to a minimum a little when I let off the gas. But it seems to use alot of gas.. I had a guy sync the carbs and check the valves last year and thats the best its ran but the old girl used 5/8 of a tank to go 87 mi. what is the remedy for gas guzzling ?/?/??

check for leaks????? :?: :?: :?: check to make sure the the carbs are not overflowing into the plenium.. seems your bike is acting like a holley 750 doublepumper on a 440 magnum... if the jets are out of whack they will suck gas.. could be the high speed needles are not set up correctly or are stuck open.. could be many other things others will chime in..

My carbs have been sync'd by a mechanic and they do not leak any where that I can see.. They bike is a little sluggish at first, but seems to go fairly good .. One thing I noticed is that when started and warming up the exhaust makes your clothes stink real bad .. I guess I'll have to see about rebuilding the carbs if that will make it better on gas.

keep running gas treatment till you can do something with carbs, you might be surprised byit clearing up on its own,snyc pluged carbs dose nothing, usely you can take the plugs out and see the difference in plugs to see which carbs are having problems,gas treatment to me is two cycle oil or atf it dosnt have to be hi dollar stuff, sometimes the carbs are fine and its all ignition stuff bad wires, ends , ballist resister,coils or fouled plugs from being drowned by bad carbs.

in your case it sounds like you have both deals going on with that kind of gas mileage .so your at the bottom end of running right now. so if i were you id be broad minded and go for improvement in all the areas . the tank needes to be clean or at least drained and flushed

you dont need to spend a lot of money at frist just check plugs only when cold ,rotate plugs get a feel of whats going on ,keep treating the gas with somthing and ibet things will get better and you will learn what going on though observation and get to know your wing

whenever you get things worked out dialed in from where your at the difference will be like a new bike

blkhot08":41tl41cu said:
.. One thing I noticed is that when started and warming up the exhaust makes your clothes stink real bad .. I guess I'll have to see about rebuilding the carbs if that will make it better on gas.

Check your exhaust system for crackes and leaks.. mine did that to me and now I need to replace system and/or mufflers.. as Randakk says everythng affects everything.. check into getting his carb overhaul kit.. expensive but contains some parts you can't get, updated nitrile rubber components, and everything for the carb and nothing left over.. Randakks.com is where you will find this info.. click on carb tips..

Well the seafoam is working it is running very well on the top end and middle but the lower rpms are still not cleaned out .. I rode it to work a couple of days and that went pretty good but had on incident the left front caliper got tight on the rotor and had to stop and crack the bleeder to get it loose after that all went good time to check over other parts that can cause me grief.. have a good weekend guys .

Latest posts