cycle won't start

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

src68

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok... i have key to on... gas to on... and go to start it and it cranks maybe once or twice.. then nothing.... all lights work.. signals work... radio works.... charging battery on 2amp charge but it is a brand new (2 weeks old ) battery... charged it for 20 hrs the first time like it says to do....

what could be prob.. then When i do get it started.. idol is too low... after running for 5 min.. i close the choke and it idols for 2 min.. then dies... what can i try or do.. :Awe:

thx

start with the basics. check your electrical and see if there is proper power at all the required points. See if you have spark, then check and see if you get fuel. It sounds like a ground issue though

ok.. like i said i don't know anything about mechanical stuff... i took off something under the top cover of the bike where you open to put in the gas... and there was a case to hold stuff i think... and i unscrewed that... (like a spare tire in a car trunk) and took that out... and OMG>>> there was a huge pile of hay like a rats/mouse nest.... like completely full..... just curious, cud htat have anything to do with it running bad or not starting???

yes. critter nests definately get cleaned out of the intake. Make sure you didn't get any critters in the engine. They are a pain to extract........... :sensored:

macka":173xbkq5 said:
start with the basics. check your electrical and see if there is proper power at all the required points. See if you have spark, then check and see if you get fuel. It sounds like a ground issue though

what are the proper points?? how do i check to see if i have spark?? same question on check to get fuel? sorry very very inept on mechanical stuff...
thx

macka":3hkgsrsk said:
yes. critter nests definately get cleaned out of the intake. Make sure you didn't get any critters in the engine. They are a pain to extract........... :sensored:

how can i tell if they got into the engine?? OMG... i didn't even know that could happen....

macka":3mrp87df said:

ok... vacumed out all i could.. but it looks like the opening goes way under where i can get to with a vacumn? how can i make sure i got all the crap.... :Awe:

at the spark plugs.easiest test is to pull out each plug one at a time and attach the plug wire lay the plug on the case and see if it sparks, should be a brilliant blue). Using a volt meter, check the voltage at the starter. Check the negetive cables on the battery and starter to see if they are bolted to a clean rust free spot on the frame. If you know how to check impedence, do so on both the starter cables, and the battery cables. This is just a basic start.
The manifold will be fun. For now lets just see if the bike starts without the blockage. There is a a whole section called the new to me bike. It has a boatload of useful how to's

src68":3mjlvoq9 said:
macka":3mjlvoq9 said:

what are the proper points?? how do i check to see if i have spark?? same question on check to get fuel? sorry very very inept on mechanical stuff...
thx

picked up a farm parked 68 triumph bonneville, had mummified mice babies in it

The starter solenoid at the back of and behind the battery most likely is sticking. Check and clean all of the connections there (disconnect the battery first). If you had mice in the tray under the hood (if you will) then you need to go in further and open up the air filter housing (wing nut right there in the middle) and clean it out too! (Change the air filter while you are there!)

There are no points to check...you have electronic ignition.

Post some pics of what you are looking at and we can really help!

mcgovern61":2yg4x9o5 said:

Points to check meaning things to look at.

From what I'm reading it sounds like the bike is having trouble cranking over. It cranks a couple times and stops, but appears to have decent voltage. Test the battery with a voltmeter to make sure it's above 12 to be sure, but it sure sounds like a bad starter.

If you added oil you may have overfilled it making it hard to start or run. Too much oil gets in the way and tends to find ways out.

mcgovern61":2mnzgnn3 said:
The starter solenoid at the back of and behind the battery most likely is sticking. Check and clean all of the connections there (disconnect the battery first). If you had mice in the tray under the hood (if you will) then you need to go in further and open up the air filter housing (wing nut right there in the middle) and clean it out too! (Change the air filter while you are there!)

/

This is what it looks like AFTER i cleaned out the critter nests... is there suppose to be some type of filter in here???

Attachments

• DSCN2730.JPG
    DSCN2730.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 120
macka":p8s6fbs9 said:
Yes there is supposed to be an airfilter in there.

can i get a filter from an autoparts store, and if i tell them the year and make and model, will they know what kind i need?
OMG... i thought so... but there was nothing in there.. just hay and lint.... :) dang critters... :Awe:

src68":28zajycv said:
can i get a filter from an autoparts store, and if i tell them the year and make and model, will they know what kind i need?
OMG... i thought so... but there was nothing in there.. just hay and lint.... :) dang critters... :Awe:

Let your fingers do the walking. Some autopart stores have a selection of cycle parts

Latest posts