Dark Side

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patcoburn

Reaction score
I've seen several guys put a car tire on their wing. I've only seen them on 1500 and 1800's. Has anyone done that on a GL1100 Standard?

not yet im planning to myself ....there is a tire out there ...that works on the 3"rim ...you would have modify the brake setup wit that rod that supports the brake ...once that done the swingarm would have to be modified too to get maxium clearence on the drive shaft side ...not a real esay thing to do ..unless you realy want it like me ....i have a swindarm modified already ...but that it it so far

Beware that this action could be very dangerous, & I don,t recommend it to anyone. I have presently 9,071 mi. on a volkswagen tire & the tread is still plenty. It is a Federal 16080R 87T tubeless super steel 657 on the rear of my 86 Interstate. It handles no different for my normal riding. I paid $73.00 from a local auto tire shop. The dangerous fact that will probably change your minds is the machine shop had to remove 0.100 inch from safety bead to allow mounting of tire.

Sounds more difficult than I want to deal with. Thanks for the comments. Much easier to do on the new wings.

I tried a car tire on the back of a Valkyrie I used to have. The handling was strange, but I kinda got used to it. I eventually put a MC tire back on it, and was amazed at the great handling. I didn't fully realize how crappy the car tire really was. The sweet handling is lost with a car tire and is not worth trading off for any reason I can think of.

jm

Latest posts