Darn 1200 electronics

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronko37

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I had all the Tupperware off of my bike over the winter as I as doing carb work, brakes, and tires. I took off the fairing to do the brake lines. Everything worked great before I took the fairing off. Put the fairing back on and I have no gear selection display, the trip odometer is all funky, and the switch on the handle bars to change the radio station does not work anymore. The trip odometer read 25 miles when I got home from work yesterday and this morning it said 655 miles, lol. Either its not working right or someone went on one hell of a joy ride. The gear selector is not a huge deal as I am pretty good at counting to 5 in both directions and it does display Neutral correctly, however it is part of the bike so I want it to work. The radio is a whole other story but I am not sure if it is hooked to the same connections. I sent the raido in to get it serviced and have an MP3 jack installed so hopefully I wont need to use the channel selector anyway, however, again its part of the bike so I would like it to work right. Also, the clock is not functioning at all. It lights up but no numbers. It had some numbers and I set the time and then it just reset and flashed and now, nothing at all. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced any of these issues all at the same time. I really want to avoid the wiring diagrams for this machine as they simply make my head hurt to even think about it. I cleaned all the connections and put dielectric grease on all of it before hooking it back together.

So to recap: No radio tuning, no clock, no gear selection display, silly trip odometer all after taking the fairing off and putting it back on. It all worked correctly before...

:thanks:

There's a lot of feed wires to various components but only a few ground wires. Sounds to me like a main ground up front is not making good contact.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143180#p143180:1mhbyw5k said:
slabghost » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:23 am[/url]":1mhbyw5k]
There's a lot of feed wires to various components but only a few ground wires. Sounds to me like a main ground up front is not making good contact.

Think it may be a simple ground issue? The fact that the trip odometer reads all kinds of funny stuff makes me think it could be that too. Seems like if it wasnt a faulty ground it would simply work or not work instead of doing all kinds of silly things. Good news is all the important stuff seems to be functioning properly, speedo, temp, air pressure, tach, fuel.

could simply be loose or dirty connections in the wiring or even at the fuses too. Check it over one connection at a time.

ok ...so much for the take it apart and put it back together program and it all work plan ....hate to say it the advice from you and slab said it on the table ...it is headache time ...this is advance 1200 dresser schooling ...dont feel bad im in the class too ..your not alone ...mines much worse :headscratch:

Sometimes the catch pin that holds the connector in the connection block comes loose and pushes the terminal out the block instead of receiving it.
If that makes sense.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143197#p143197:24hnu1j5 said:
zman » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:51 pm[/url]":24hnu1j5]
Sometimes the catch pin that holds the connector in the connection block comes loose and pushes the terminal out the block instead of receiving it.
If that makes sense.

That does make sense Zman. I have not even jiggled any of the connections because I had just put the tank and all the other doo dads back on. Im too busy enjoying the ride but soon enough I will start to check all the obvious stuff out and just process through it. Thanks for giving me some direction guys.