Daze's 81 Standard + Resto Thread

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daze

Reaction score
A long long time ago (a week-ish) in a garage far far away (or attached to my house either way)
A epic struggle between an evil empire....I mean motorcycle.....and rebel forces (mostly me really) took place.
This is the story of their struggle.....

I got the bike from my grandfather and brought it home (https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7023), and have begun the tear down process.

I pulled the fairing, luggage rack, seat, and on and on and now I have about about a thousand little nuts and bolts floating around my garage.
I have drained the oil, and put new in, just for kicks. (I suspect it's all going to have to come out again.) I drained the radiator, and no rust in there, not much fluid, and poured about another gallon of water through the radiator just to see what came out, and it looked good (after some debate I decided I wouldn't drink it :) )

Pulled the radiator, and timing belt cover, timing belts (of course I didn't mark anything), pulled the plugs. Got the big wrench put it on the center pulley doodad (yes that's the technical name) and

nothing. Wouldn't budge.

I sprayed a bit of PB blaster in the plug holes and waited....

for about 30 seconds, and still no wiggle.

Waited until today and pulled the generator bolt cap, put a 12mm socket on the bolt inside there and

IT TURNED!!!!
:yahoo: :rocks: :thank_you: :yes: :music:

So the engine is not frozen!!!!!! No noises, no grinding, no clanking just nice easy movement. I am happy about this. WAAAAY Happier than I should be probably, but that was my make/break line. If the engine was really stuck I was not planning on restoring the bike.

So next I will pull the carbs and the tank.

The tank has some kind of fluid in it(I assume it was originally gas), and rust. SOOOOOO MUCH RUST!!! It's going to get pulled and cleaned, of course the carbs need to be cleaned.

The question of the day is........Do I pull the heads or let it ride??

Pics are forthcoming, as soon as I find the camera....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103239#p103239:2ysxe5iz said:
Dusterdude » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:36 pm[/url]":2ysxe5iz]
I wouldnt pull the heads until i could do a compression test

need to run the bike for real to do the compression test right?

It doesnt need to run per se,just needs turn over with the starter

sit back and enjoy where your at .... nice going so far ,,seems from the story it wasn't to bad ...if I had the money and was able id change the head gaskets so you could really clean things up ..if I was on a bugget I wouldn't ....funds play big part

Great progress!

In your linked thread you said it hasn't run in 20 years. My opinion whether to pull the heads would depend on how it was stored, inside dry or outside.
With the carbs off, look at the intake valves, any rust I'd pull the heads and clean up good.
New timing belts for sure since they've been sitting in one position so long and risk of dry rot.

Yuk, tank rust.
I haven't had to deal with that yet but the guys here have lots of tricks to clean it up.

Keep posting your progress, I love to watch and read.

As for your rust issue,try the works toilet bowl cleaner,did wonders on my sportster tank

+1 and fill the spark plug holes/ cylinders with some ATF for a couple of days, then try some gentle movements back and forth with the crank bolt.

If the timing belts are off, be VERY careful turning the engine! The valves bend quite easily.

Glad it has freed up for ya! Get the fuel system cleaned up, new timing belts in place, oil and coolant in, and she should run. Take your time and double-triple check all timing marks when installing the belts.

Find that camera - we want pics!!!

I just cleaned a rusty tank with apple cider vinegar. Worked great. Seal up all the openings and pour in 2 or 3 gallons of apple cider vinegar. Let it sit, and rotate it so all sides get to soak. I checked mine every so often but ended up letting it sit for 3 days while I worked on other pieces. After I emptied the vinegar I sprayed the inside of the tank with a water hose and all the crud came out. What was left was clean, shiny metal. I coated the inside with WD-40 to keep it from flash-rusting while I finish the rest of the bike. I'm sold on the apple cider vinegar, great stuff.

Spray the inside with a penetrating oil of your choice or keep using the wd40 every few days. WD40 dries off.