Differences in exhaust temperature

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is what I'm thinking also.

The new vom meter I picked up has a contact temp probe so I can get some better readings at the exhaust as well as at the plenum and heat plate over the non contact one I've been using.

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=108372#p108372:6xr4vkhl said:
slabghost » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:34 pm[/url]":6xr4vkhl]
As long as the plugs are an equal tan I wouldn't be concerned.

+1 :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

Keep in mind the exhaust is designed to "scavenge" draw out the exhaust from the cylinders. The crankshaft turns another two revolutions before that exhaust is heated again. If you are measuring close to the heads. So each is cooling from the instant the valve closes until it reopens. Ambient air temperature and wind will affect how much cooling is possible as will the humidity at the time. Some headers are double walled which complicates it further. You best indicator of the correct burn will always be the plugs.

Variance in exhaust header temperature will give accurate indications of individual cylinder performance. Variance in temperature will indicate poor combustion which can be caused by any of the magic three: Compression, Fuel or Spark.
There is a product called Colortune which is a spark plug with a window that allows you to see the actual color of spark and combustion which allows you to make more accurate jet changes.

I got my first one 25 years ago through an auto parts store, the replacement came through an international eBay site..

Latest posts