Doing a muffler job, too.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyb

Reaction score
Well, I pulled my mufflers off on Saturday to weld a small hole. In the process I broke one of the two bolts on each muffler which bolts to the mount. Argh! Given that they were leaking already and now they would not mount well, I decided they needed to be replaced. I thought about buying a new set or a used set off ebay. After giving it some thought, I decided to build my own. I cut the old mufflers off the headers so I can use them. Rather than going with Harley take offs though, I went to the parts store and bought two pieces of 2" exhaust tubing. each piece is 24 inches long. I plan to reuse the baffles that came out of the stock exhaust. I have borrowed the neighbors welder but it got wet this weekend (what didn't) so I have to wait until Wednesday for it to dry out. In the meantime, I will charge up the camera batteries so I can document this thing because my words just ain't getting it.

Wish me luck.

Sounds like a unique approach I would love to see Pictures of your build And or coarse good luck. And don't be like me and grab the hot pipe after you've just welded it LOL

Cheers

I am pretty psyched about doing this. I don't know what the results will be but I am having a lot of fun working through the possibilities in my head.

Joep":2wbhzxb8 said:
Yeah show us your handiness and weld jobs.. members mods are always interesting..
My weld jobs look poor but so far they have been effective. Depending on how they look, I may just tack them in place and take them to a competent welder.

Tomahawk":2wbhzxb8 said:
Sounds like a unique approach I would love to see Pictures of your build And or coarse good luck. And don't be like me and grab the hot pipe after you've just welded it LOL

Cheers

I have grabbed a hot pipe or two in my day. Never have managed to get smart about that.

I want to see where you chose to separate the headers from the rest of the exhaust. This is on my to-do list as well. I have found several new & barely used HD mufflers at HD dealers that are on thier shelfs after putting on custom pipes. The most ive been told was $50 for a set. I want to be heard, but not to be annoying. I, unwillingly, end up driving in alot of blindspots with all the h-town traffic S this is a project I am interested in.

There is a seam where the muffler joins the head pipe. It's where the two were welded together at the factory. I cut mine right there. Just below the drivers foot peg

I cut mine closer to the muffler than Tomahawk, but I may change that. I figured that I would rather have to cut it a second time than to wish I had not cut off so much.

OK, I am not quite done, but I am getting there. The biggest lesson learned is that I am not much of a welder. I would have been better served by tacking the pieces in place and taking them to a real welder, but that would not have been as much fun.

Pic #1-the problem. When removing the mounts, I broke off one mounting bolt on each side.

the+culprit.jpg

Pic#2 Cutting off the header.

header+cut.jpg

Pic 3 the beginning of the plan, auto parts store purchased exhaust tubing. I want to fit them together and then weld them to the header.

pipes+together.jpg

You will have a nice area to weld to on the head pipe by the look of it.. if you want to i bet you could just clamp it. Pretty cool idea shaping up here i think

yes andyb this is going well and its looking good......tomehawk has a point and i would think it would be a good ideal to put it together unwelded for a spell to see how everything works ......there may be some running problems but i wouldnt think so......one never knows so it better to be cautious and not weld anything till you tell its a good mod on your bike...

when i modified mine i went the other way ...i cut my original exhast just past the back monts in your first pic where the exhast was 4 inches round and added 4 inch exhast pipe the rest of the way back .... i connected the exhast together with some homemade couplers out of the 4inch exhast pipe ....this makes it easy to deal with becase the exhast comes apart in the middle ...this has been very user friendly and not permeditated but diffinutly the best feature on my exhast mod....

as far as running my bike ran great and had no problems at all withits 4inch stait pipes.......ive been thinking to slip in some small short mufflers inside the pipes but ive never done it yet .....its not realy that loud at all unless you pour on the gas.....its geared so hyway friendly that at 70 mph its around 3500 rpm and just rumbles ....

your cut looks nice and sweet cant wait to see how this comes out good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :builder: :laptop: :builder: :laptop: :builder: :laptop: :good: :eek:k: good work on the pics part to im jealous :smilie_happy:

I have a baffle picture to add, Dan. When I get back on my home computer, I will post some more pics.

OK,I wrestled the home computer away from the 14 year old.

Pic 4 A close up of the connection between the two new pipes

close+up+bend.jpg

Pic 5 A mock up to see what I can do with it. the headers are bolted on as normal so I can try different positions.

mock+up+side+full.jpg

Pic 6 A close up of the mock up

mock+up+side+close.jpg

Baffle build up

Pic 7 I removed the old "stinger baffle" from the rear of the stock mufflers. Unfortunately, the collar that attached to the pipe was rusted through on both sides. I bought washers at the hardware store and welded them on to the ends.

baffle+start.jpg

Pic 8 After the washers were welded on, I salvaged what was left of the baffles from the front end of the mufflers welded those to the stinger baffle

baffle-no+wrap.jpg

Pic 9 I wrapped the stinger baffle with muffler packing. I tied the packing on with zipties. It does not matter if they melt once they are inside.

baffle+complete.jpg

Pic 10-Installing the baffle in the end of the pipe. Note that I also welded a sleeve on the end which makes a tight fit with the exhaust pipe.

baffle+install.jpg

I am a lousy welder so my welds have leaks. But, have no fear, tomorrow I install black exhaust wrap to hold in those leaks. Plus I think it will look great. I took it for a spin around the block and it sounds good. Not too much louder than the other (holes will do that) and less raspy. My camera microphone is terrible so I can't make a video. But, I will take more pics once I get the tape on. Plus, I have been doing some painting and I about done so I will be able to show it off.

Latest posts