Driving Lights

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fewman

Reaction score
Can I use the stock light switch (hi beam circuit) to trigger a relay to turn on/off driving lights? (ON with hi beam/OFF with low beam). I'm under the impression that this should work as the trigger side of the relay uses very low current draw (inherent function of the relay). The driving lights themselves would be fused and powered at the battery (thru the relay). Would the reserve lighting circuit ('75 GL) 'like' this arrangement and still work? I would prefer to have the aux lighting controlled at the handgrip and not thru a toggle switch located in left field, keeping the stock look.

Anyone trigger a relay like this?

If you look back thu the lighting section on this forum you will find my spot light install on Rhonda :read: , I triggered the relay off the high beam pin in the head light with a 'special' blade plug I made from brass shim material that slips into the 3 pole plug along with the high beam blade on the H4 bulb. an idea I stole from somewhere else on this forum :laptop:
Also fitted water proof switch into the back of the left spotlight housing to fully comply with transport office rules and regs but the whole set up still fully removable without a trace :read:

So spots were On with High, had option to stay off, but could not be On with Low :laptop:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=410 (I may have just learnt how paste links)
Also just noticed, that all happened after the photo below :oops:

Finished the install. All went well tapping into the headlight circuit for the relay trigger(s). Running seperate relays for both beams. Switched out the 55/55w bulbs with 35/35w. Charging system seems OK with set-up...charging begins at anything above idle. Just need to 'tune' the aiming...

Attachments

• Driving Lights_01.jpg
    Driving Lights_01.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 164
They had 5w 'riding' lights in them. Couldn't really figure out why so I removed them and treplaced them with a polished piece of aluminum. They are 3.5" units I got from Dennis Kirk site. I didn't want to go any bigger in diameter.