Driving Lights

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave

Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a pair of 55w or a single 100w driving lights, still working on the where and how to mount them. Does any one know if my charging system will handle it? I'm cool with relay and switch wiring so will take power straight from the battery and set up a relay off the high beam wire which will keep it legal here in Oz.

The system wont handle 2 55 watt lights during slow driving, out on the highway above 3000 rpm it will.
Put 35 watt bulbs in place of the 55's, the system will handle it better.

Took me a while to get around to it (first wife gave me "a round to-it") but here we go
LightsOff.jpg

I used the brake line divider to mount off, thats the earth wires from each light in the left bolt
BracketMount.jpg

Mounted the relay under/beside the fuse box but the power comes direct from the battery via a 15A fuse and the lights only work when high beam is on
Relay.jpg

Couldn't think of any where to mount the switch so I used a water proof job and mounted it in the left light
Switch.jpg

This shot was taken in daylight and shows regular bulbs but since been replaced with PIAA 35W and 55/60 in the head light - Unbelivable improvement
LightsOn.jpg

:cool:

dan filipi":3mv17zbl said:
Looks good. What wattage bulbs did you go with?

The lights are H3 55W now fitted with PIAA 35W bulbs that they claim give the same light as 70W. I just know they are very effective, was able to adjust the beams up a little (further ahead) with the new bulbs. The PIAA 55/60 (= 100/110) I put in the head light may be a little over the top, been 'flashed' by a few cars and most bikes while on low beam, may have to adjust down a bit :smilie_happy:

Dave":1fxca4cl said:
dan filipi":1fxca4cl said:
Looks good. What wattage bulbs did you go with?

The lights are H3 55W now fitted with PIAA 35W bulbs that they claim give the same light as 70W. I just know they are very effective, was able to adjust the beams up a little (further ahead) with the new bulbs. The PIAA 55/60 (= 100/110) I put in the head light may be a little over the top, been 'flashed' by a few cars and most bikes while on low beam, may have to adjust down a bit :smilie_happy:

That's the same problem I have with my driving lights I keep getting flashed around town, I just can't seem to get them adjusted right.

kah92340":2d1402l7 said:
Dave":2d1402l7 said:
That's the same problem I have with my driving lights I keep getting flashed around town, I just can't seem to get them adjusted right.

I've been away mate, can ya tell?. The trick with adjustment is to use your OME rear air suspention to compensate for "load on the bike" variations. Uaaah, umm, yeh, just like it says in the owners manual re: setting the ride to suit the whatever's going down on the day :music:

I ended up getting round driving lights. First I changed them out with 35w MR16 bulbs from Lowes, but recently switched them to LED. Not really for my seeing as much, but work great to be seen.

Attachments

• 7.bmp
    31.8 KB · Views: 171

Latest posts