Engine knocking need help identifing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jalvarez

Reaction score
Another knocking engine mine 1983 GL1100 with less than 50K on the motor. Noise began soon after got the bike running again. I interpreted the problem to be with the valves. Before I pulled them I checked the timing and syncornized the carbs and still knocks. Removed the Heads and they looked good I assumed the problem was either ta stuck valve or week spring???/. Ordered new vales and had the heads machined. Still knocking???

I drained the water from radiator and checked the water pump as it sounds sililar to sometning hitting metal on the inside. The best as I call tell the noise seems to be closer to the #2 cylinder on the exhuast valve. I also had another set of heads so I replaced the rocker and you guessed it Knocking.

Also drained the oil and ran a magnet trough it and the oild was clean with no fragments and or metal shaving what so ever. Again replaced filter and this time put in 15-40 deisel and you got it Noise still there.

A friend is telling me it maybe a piston is loose. However when I had the heads off the cylinders looked good and not scratches on any of the cylinders.

I am including a video in hopes that someone can help pin point the problem as I would hate to take out the engine unless I have eliminated all other possibilites before doing so.

https://youtu.be/uMECmLNkUjo

I hope someone can help

Regards
frustrated winger

Thanks Dan

Yes I have verified the timing at least 8 times and checked valve clearences

intake at .004 exhaust at .005. timing marks on both pullys where they should be with engine TDC.

It was ticking loud at a slow rpm so I would pull all the plugs and crank it with the starter and see if you get the noise.
If so then pull the left valve cover and do the same to try and isolate it.

I would not run it any more than possible to keep from damaging anything.

Oh, when did this start. Might help narrow down the possibilities if it started after other work.

Have a pan ready on the floor to catch oil when the head cover is off.

Hmmmmm!

My eyeballs might be playing games with me......but is that engine spinning backwards?? It looks like the cam pulley is rotating counterclockwise? (Could just be the way the camera is picking up the frames).

Noooo, I checked again, it is spinning right (tough getting old!) :swoon:

dan filipi":3hna59yv said:
Clear plexiglass would be cool.
I'm not sure that would even be needed. Look at the oil flow pattern even when I snap the throttle up.....it is mostly around the cam and rockers flowing down onto the exhaust valves. I think an open GL valve cover (cut out midway and up) would catch the oil and provide complete viewing.

Sounds like a loose rocker? I would be inclined to take the valve cover off and turn the engine by hand while rocking those rockers to see if any of them come real loose? Disconnect #2 plug while running and see if it makes any difference.

BTW, are they GL1000 valve covers?

Here's my ordeal:https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1002

This noise would come and go randomly, then eventually the noise went away. Haven't heard it for many, many months now. Although I do still have a small tappet tick, but that's where I left the adjustment the last time I had it apart. Just got tired of mess'n with it, gave up and rode it.

joedrum":2xnxxudf said:
i cant listen right now ...a rabbit chewed my speaker wires into ....this kind of stuff only happens to me it seems :rant: :shock: :mrgreen:

Ahhh... Another rabbit guy?

Mark

Sounds like a rocker to me too, but it seems you've done everything to eliminate that as the problem. I think at this point, I would see if it makes the noise by simply spinning it over, without starting it. If it does, then I would loosen off on the rockers one at a time, and see if it is indeed rocker related. I agree that it does NOT sound like a loose wrist pin on the piston/rod....that would be a more hollow sound, and deeper into the engine.
Could it possibly be the oil pump, or something in the starter drive/chain, Dan?

Can't hear it myself. But I'll throw this out. Weak valve springs sometime cannot close the valves fast enough to follow the rocker. The explosion of ignition will slam the valve shut. Worn rockers can be repositioned if they rest in worn areas. It may also be low oil flow to one or more components. Try running a half qt of ATF in the oil. This will help clean the oil passages.

Latest posts