engine noise at 3200rpm

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn406

Reaction score
My 81 interstate has a buzzing or chattering noise at about 3200rpm..just noticeable when accelerating but louder when coming down to 3200 Noise is there whether the clutch is engaged or not. Sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine. I checked the belts and tightened the tensioners some but that didn't help. It has a new water pump and new belts. Any Ideas?

The belts were actually a little loose but the sound didn't change at all after I tightened them. The belts are new but I didn't put in new tensioners..may I should have.

Try listening to them with the end of a screwdriver or stethoscope if you have access to one.

Glenn406":129r5hnf said:
If it is a bearing, will it get progressively worse?
It could get progressively worse or simply fail. If oiling the bearing eliminates the noise I'd get new tensioners on order.

Any auto supply will have an automotive stethoscope and they are a tremendous help in locating noise. Engine noises can travel, meaning they can sound like they are coming from one area when they are actually coming from somewhere else.

Generally a bearing noise will not be present at just one rpm range but continuous. That is not a hard and fast rule, just a general one. Does the noise come on all of a sudden at 3200.

Yes I hear it only in that range,(maybe 3200-3300) more when rolling off the throttle than when accelerating. If I hold it at about 3200 it is continuous.

I get a chatter sound from my '81 also. It sounds like a subtle diesel knock when cruising down the road at 4000 rpm, like a low-pitch chatter. It disappears when I let off the throttle. My timing belt/pulleys are good and valves are adjusted. Some days are worse than others but never really that loud. I has been like that since I got the bike over 3 yrs ago and has not gotten any worse, so I just live with it. Does this sound similar to your noise Glenn?

I have heard that out of sync carbs could cause something like this. I also run 87 octane instead of 89 and it seems to help, which to me would indicate ignition timing. Could out of sync carbs affect ignition timing?

I just can't help to wonder how flawlessly smooth she would be if I could quiet the knock. Has anybody out there noticed a quieter engine after they had rebuilt their carbs?

This is a long shot but check your stater bolt. It is accessed from the back of the engine. It is a 17mm bolt head and has been known to loosen up. If it come completely out you will have a real problem. You access from the left side of the bike, there is a cover you need to remove to access it. Don't remember what the size of the cover bolt head is.

Got a stethoscope and it took while to find it but it's coming from the oil filter area.

I just can't help to wonder how flawlessly smooth she would be if I could quiet the knock. Has anybody out there noticed a quieter engine after they had rebuilt their carbs?

Carbs won't affect timing. However out of sync carbs will cause chain slapping at idle and that sounds terrible. When I first got mine I couldn't get the carbs to sync, what I found was one of the O rings on the intake manifold was leaking. They are 40mm O rings and if you ever pull your carbs off be sure to replace all four of them.

As for running down a noise, that can really be difficult at times especially when the noise only happens when you are ridding.

Sometimes taking it to a good shop and having them check it out could be well worth the expense. I have been a heavy truck technician for the past forty years and one thing I have learned is when it comes to automobiles and motorcycles I'm an apprentice and people with the experience to resolve your problems can be worth the price.

I only hear it with the stethoscope on the oil filter...loudest with it right on the bolt...nothing from the transmission or even the water pump side of the front cover.

slabghost":ksn866y8 said:
I wonder if the filter might be bouncing on the spring in there? Odd source for sure.

Perhaps the small O-ring was not installed? Sometimes they get hidden under the flaps of the box the filter comes in and unless the tech knows about needing it they don't look/forget about it. That little bit of missing spacing could allow a buzz against the engine block at the "right" rate of vibration.

Pulled the oil filter and everything is normal there o rings and springs and washers all where they belong