Engine Serial number help

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRepoGuy

Reaction score
Evening folks!
It is officially confirmed that I have a legit problem...not really because it only took me about two and a half hours to put this motor back together (came from a friend in FL where it sat for a number of years) AFTER taking about 2 hours to sort all the parts out ha!

Anyway - the motor doesn’t have a back cover on it at all; based on information I’ve found the back covers for the 1200 are all different or at least between the Aspy and the Limited because of a bigger stator.

Is there anyone on here or does anyone know how to officially decode a serial number on the case to figure out what model it came from so I can order the correct rear cover?
Nate

3963a4743eb808e5c831a012bc53c116.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chance that the stud lengths are different between the two covers? I see you have two studs in that picture.

Or maybe the stator you have has a part number?

saganaga":989fy9md said:
Any chance that the stud lengths are different between the two covers? I see you have two studs in that picture.

Or maybe the stator you have has a part number?

The entire back cover is MIA along with all the internal components so I’m kinda out of luck as far as any internal parts [emoji21][emoji21]

Rear case part numbers

1984 I & A - Pulse generators at rear of engine - P/N 11311-MG9-000
1985 I & A - Pulse generators on front of engine - P/N 11311-MG9-680
1986 I & A - Pulse generators on front of engine - P/N 11311-ML8-000
1986 SEI - Rear Case P/N 11311-ML8-750
1987 I&A - Same as 86 I&A

Microfiche @ https://shop.westernhonda.com/fiche_select.asp

If you don't have the pieces inside the rear case, it will get quite expensive purchasing each piece:

PurpleGL1200I":ghblm7w7 said:
If you don't have the pieces inside the rear case, it will get quite expensive purchasing each piece:

Yeah - the rear case is MIA as well as the internal components. I might just take what I need off of this motor and send it down the road to the junkyard unfortunately.

pidjones":1g8fw34h said:
I've surprised myself with the parts used off of a junker I bought last Spring.

Looking REALLY REALLY hard at a 1982 Standard. I want a 1980 since that was the year I was born but found a really good looking 1982 that runs but needs to be put back together

Using that chart above - looks like this motor was from a 1984 Standard which has the PG’s inside the rear case if my memory serves me correctly...

Not sure what I can do with it just yet other than make sure and keep it for parts ha!
032b8bbab953944969b5f6807c508aa2.jpg

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213735#p213735:16nt2dtk said:
TheRepoGuy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:17 pm[/url]":16nt2dtk]
Using that chart above - looks like this motor was from a 1984 Standard which has the PG’s inside the rear case if my memory serves me correctly...

Not sure what I can do with it just yet other than make sure and keep it for parts ha!
032b8bbab953944969b5f6807c508aa2.jpg

84s - The P/Gs are mounted on the rear of the engine (the round canister with the blue wires going to it).

Attachments

• 84 Pulse Generators.jpg
    84 Pulse Generators.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 90
Looking REALLY REALLY hard at a 1982 Standard. I want a 1980 since that was the year I was born but found a really good looking 1982 that runs but needs to be put back together

If you are looking for a running ready to go 1982 standard (with tag a long trailer), my whole rig is for sale. $3000. with trailer, $2500 without!

image.php

Click on the "album" button on the left of this post in my profile and you can go to my photos in the Member gallery and look up any details you want on nearly every part on the bike! (That goes for anyone else too!)

Latest posts