Fogging engine for winter storage?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saganaga

Reaction score
It looks like my Goldwing will soon be resting until April. Is it worth fogging these engines for winter storage?

IMHO, fogging is not required except for very long (years) storage. I would put it on the center stand to take the weight off the tires and keep the engine oil level.

I put my wings up for the winter by adding Stabil (or ATF) to the gas tank, run them until they reach operating temp, change oil & filter, shut the gas off, put them on center stands, and remove the batteries. Batteries go to the charging bench and and get charged once a month until spring. They're stored in the garage, so I cover them because I use the garage all winter and they can get dusty from winter projects.

Other people just connect a battery maintainer, cover the bike, and leave it until riding time is back. If you leave the battery connected and don't use a maintainer, odds are the battery will be dead by spring.

I'm lazy, so I've been using a float charger.

Actually ordered another two today, because I'm too lazy to swap them around all winter. ;)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214073#p214073:1926cuuu said:
PurpleGL1200I » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:49 am[/url]":1926cuuu]
IMHO, fogging is not required except for very long (years) storage. I would put it on the center stand to take the weight off the tires and keep the engine oil level.

I put my wings up for the winter by adding Stabil (or ATF) to the gas tank, run them until they reach operating temp, change oil & filter, shut the gas off, put them on center stands, and remove the batteries. Batteries go to the charging bench and and get charged once a month until spring. They're stored in the garage, so I cover them because I use the garage all winter and they can get dusty from winter projects.

Other people just connect a battery maintainer, cover the bike, and leave it until riding time is back. If you leave the battery connected and don't use a maintainer, odds are the battery will be dead by spring.
:good: :salute:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214075#p214075:1knxuzgq said:
saganaga » Yesterday, 6:31 pm[/url]":1knxuzgq]
I'm lazy, so I've been using a float charger.

Actually ordered another two today, because I'm too lazy to swap them around all winter. ;)
I made a tiny jumper cable from a lamp cord with tiny alligator clips at each end and hooked the 2 bikes together. The tender kept them both up all winter.

I make sure that I get a good full tank of 'winter formulation' gasoline... premium non-ethanol, before I put it up... I run the carbs dry. I use a 2A charger, and put it on a mechanical timer that runs 15 minutes a day, no more. I won't clip my bikes together, as I've had mice chew through wires, don't wanna risk giving 'em an easy way to set the barn on fire... but for the ones I KNOW i won't be starting, I pull the batteries, put 'em on a storage rack, and connect them to my other batteries, which are all on a float charger. They're what power my emergency lighting inverter when ice storms take down the power lines...

But I keep the battery in the wing, so I can hop on and fire it up anytime, as we DO get winter days that are above freezing and dry for no apparent reason, so I'll take it for a spin to keep it exercised if I can. I do fog the boats... the cylinders tend to accumulate condensation, spray fogging oil fights that. I even use fogging oil spray on the ways and precision surfaces of my machine tools, because they 'sweat' profusely in the springtime... for everything else, there's beeswax/linseed oil/turpentine mix.

Latest posts