• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale - '81 GL1100 Standard - $3000 - SOLD!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189012#p189012:aqsti94m said:
brianinpa » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:16 am[/url]":aqsti94m]
Sell the piano... That should make enough room!
Naw, that is a 112 year old upright grand. I have had that since 1977 and still play. Contrary to the way it looks, it sounds and plays fantastic (and is in tune).

Now, all of those kids toys and bikes lining the walls........hmmmmm....... :hihihi:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189035#p189035:1o1g1vhv said:
slabghost » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:12 pm[/url]":1o1g1vhv]
Have a shed put out behind the house. Separate man cave and bike home.
We live in a townhome development. No man cave sheds allowed. Here is a pic of our current shed size.

Attachments

• Summer 2011 124.jpg
    Summer 2011 124.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 121
Sometimes I forget that others are more restricted in options. I now have two barn style sheds and a carport here. Soon to be a greenhouse going up for the better half.

Great looking bike and the work that has been done is what should be considered by anyone looking. Was internet browsing last night and older, similar bikes without the work you have done/documented are being posted for the same price point.

Seems that the asking price for these older bikes if on the road and operating is in your range, so your bike is good value. Only issue with buying an older bike that appears to be good value is that you never know what is lurking under the facade as you found out with some items (liked the starter solenoid fuse). I take note when the asking price is similar, but the bike is not roadworthy, been parked for a long time, and there is work to be done.

Looking at another '85 LTD up here. The ad mentions:

"Decent shape not running
Took some of it apart to try fix but
It is beyond me
No longer have the time or the money to continue"

This fellow still wants a premium (in my mind) for this 33 year old bike.

Reminds me of some of the licence plate signs you would see in a garage: shop rate $60.00 if we do the work, shop rate $120.00 if you started the work (something to this affect).

Back to your bike, followed your redo - it was great.

Good ,luck. Cheers

Thanks Earnest! It is true that no matter how much work you do, the bike only has so much cash value in the market. I agree this bike will be a great deal for someone who wants to turn the key and head across the country this afternoon!

However, it is very similar to dumping thousands upon thousands of dollars into a house on a block where the highest value is all you will ever get for your house no matter how much money you dump into it.

We were very careful about our budget, plus we did have a lot of spare parts. This bike had a good foundation to start from. Had it been a barn find, it would be a whole different story. :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189473#p189473:1teny7vs said:
mcgovern61 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:57 pm[/url]":1teny7vs]
Sale pending! :yahoo:
Deal fell through. :cheeky:

Price was not the issue for the buyer, he just came across another really nice bike that more suited his needs. I agreed with him. (We will stay in touch otherwise.)

Offers still being taken! :yes:

Patience is a virtue for sure! (Plus, taking it out for rides once a week helps.) :hihihi: :ahem:

We can wait. The right buyer will come along as soon as they see the bike.

Careful, you'll wind up keeping such a dependable scooter you have all ready for riding season. :salute: A spare of each kind is the solution for when one is down for service. :yes: Especially when it's hot, your standard's down for tires, brakes, etc. :roll: Climb on the other standard, go for a ride & be ready to work when you get back. :good:

Have to think a SERIOUS ISSUE such as this through. :headscratch: Life is full of regrets, :yes: trying to save you the misery of some of my mistakes. :crying: :roll: Best of luck whatever you decide :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189954#p189954:2vd1jued said:
Denver » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:15 am[/url]":2vd1jued]
Careful, you'll wind up keeping such a dependable scooter you have all ready for riding season. :salute: A spare of each kind is the solution for when one is down for service. :yes: Especially when it's hot, your standard's down for tires, brakes, etc. :roll: Climb on the other standard, go for a ride & be ready to work when you get back. :good:
I have been caught.........while working on the '82 wire harness project, the '81 has been a terrific fill in bike! :hihihi: :moped:

The surprising thing so far is that the two serious potential buyers wanted nearly all OEM items and not having OEM valve and timing covers along with the windshield and trunk rack were actually negative items to them. Surprisingly, they were not interested in taking the bike with the extras and sell them off. They wanted OEM only and did not want to bother with changes. :shock:

I have picked up a terrific set of valve and timing covers from Brian and we have removed the windshield and trunk rack. Once we finish polishing and installing the covers, I am going to take a new set of pictures showing the bike as OEM.

Forgive the observation here. But to me it seems the buyers in your area are morons.100% original is great for a museum piece. If that is the intended purpose they are better off rebuilding a barn find. Best of luck getting this sold. I really hope someone outside the area buys it to ride happy ever after.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190640#p190640:rdfemov3 said:
slabghost » Wed May 17, 2017 10:14 am[/url]":rdfemov3]
Forgive the observation here. But to me it seems the buyers in your area are morons.100% original is great for a museum piece. If that is the intended purpose they are better off rebuilding a barn find. Best of luck getting this sold. I really hope someone outside the area buys it to ride happy ever after.
It is a finicky crowd here in New Jersey! They either want the bike for free or it has to meet their standards exactly. Kind of a feast or famine group.

I am only advertising in Craig's List, here on the forum and over at NGW. I have not had the time to advertise on Ebay because I have been way too busy with personal stuff and looking for a new job.

Latest posts