Forthcoming starter issues?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkB

Reaction score
Good morning, guys!

This morning, as I was coming to work, I stopped to put gas in the tank. When I went to start the bike, the starter just spun. As it was winding down, it kinda sorta sounded like it made contact. It did this about two, or three times before it finally started up. Is the solenoid maybe going bad on me? It’s never acted up at all, so this is kind of weird. Just for giggles, I shut it down once I arrived at work, then tried to start and no hesitation, it just fired right up.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Mark

Not a problem if it is only occasional but if it continues, it may be the oil you are using. I have never had the problem myself but several have posted that oils of thicker viscosities and those labeled "high milage" can keep the starter clutch from engaging.

MarkB":alc7q94d said:
the starter just spun. As it was winding down, it kinda sorta sounded like it made contact. It did this about two, or three times before it finally started up. Is the solenoid maybe going bad on me?

Just a tip... the solenoid only acts as a switch to pass the high current 12 volts to the starter. If the starter spins, the solenoid is never at fault.

WindNWing":dpdk5yz3 said:
Not a problem if it is only occasional but if it continues, it may be the oil you are using. I have never had the problem myself but several have posted that oils of thicker viscosities and those labeled "high milage" can keep the starter clutch from engaging.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

In the FWIW dept., I actually found and bought my Wing from a dealer and they serviced it prior to the sale. I'd think they would know what oil to use, but I guess you never know, huh?

I've had the bike for a week and ridden it every day. This is the first hiccup of any kind, so I'm going to relax until I have reason to not relax! :smilie_happy: :good:

Mark

good idea just relax. Starter clutches in these old bikes are amazing contraptions. The old yamaha virago had issues with that from day one. I called them hit/miss starters. Eventually they worked.

It was just a little disconcerting the first time it happend. I didn't really panic, but you guys are the first thing I thought of!

Mark

the dealer may have serviced it, but a build up of old oil could have still remained in the starter clutch. not worry, if you drive everyday the next oil change or two should end the problem for good. it is more common when its cold and the bike has not warmed up yet, or has been setting a while. just wait until the starter stops spinning before hitting the button again. it will always catch after a few tries

Good point on a few oil changes straightening things out. I do need to sort out what oil I’m going to go with. I was actually thinking about doing an oil change before it was really due, just because I think it’s been sitting for a year.

The bike was well warmed this morning. I ran it for several minutes at home before leaving and rode it to the gas station. BTW, I love not ever having to worry about which side of my vehicle I need to have up to the pump!! It’s the little things I appreciate!

I did just like you said; I waited for it to quit spinning, then hit it again. It was either the third or fourth time that it started. I really wasn’t looking forward to bump-starting that brute!

Mark

Mark, mine did the same when it was cold or when I was using 15w40 oil. I switched back to 10w40 dino oil and after about 200 miles it stopped sticking like that. I also noticed it would do it when my battery was low and there was not enough juice to engage the starter clutch.

Mine when running heavy oil will do this also.
Sometimes it'll make quite a racket when it almost catches.
I would change the oil so you know whats in it.
So Cal weather is so mild I run 10/40 year round.

dan filipi":3eu1w348 said:

35ish and still icy when I rode to work this morning. It's not supposed to be like this at the beach. :beg:

I noticed this starting problem using the Rotella 15w40. I haven't experienced this for quite some time now. Maybe since I changed oils.

scdmarx":auv9iuq4 said:
dan filipi":auv9iuq4 said:

35ish and still icy when I rode to work this morning. It's not supposed to be like this at the beach. :beg:

I noticed this starting problem using the Rotella 15w40. I haven't experienced this for quite some time now. Maybe since I changed oils.

The mornings sure have been down there but real nice during the day.