Front Brakes locking

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron1YY

Reaction score
Hi, I'm restoring an 81 and seem to be having an issue. Everytime I pump the front brakes, the calipers don't release and it locks the front wheel. I just bought used calipers and they are doing the same thing. I got a used master cylinder, but it leaks Very Badly every time P squeeze the lever.

Can someone chime in and point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,
Ron

SHould I get a rebuild kit for the FMC that I got used the is leaking ? I doubt that this is the right one for the bike.

at this point id a least try and find the right one ...this would have been okay maybe if it was good ...but its not id at least look for one on ebay or a salvage yard if ones around you....it might be good and cost the same or less than rebuild kit ....and it would be the right one

I bought one that is the right one for an 80-83 but when I installed it and squeezed the brake, it leaked from everywhere.

Ron1YY":1ewpt8lu said:
I bought one that is the right one for an 80-83 but when I installed it and squeezed the brake, it leaked from everywhere.
There is not a standard FMC for 80-83, '80-'81 have single piston calipers, '82-'83 have dual piston calipers and '83 has linked brakes with the back. The '80-'82 FMC will work but are not exactly interchangable....they have different covers and bolts patterns. Hydraulically, '80 thru '82 are the same.

If it leaked from everywhere, it needs to be rebulit. (Fairly easy task)

The return hole is a little hard to see unless you can easily get the rectangular reservoir off the FMC... if you can't remove it (I couldn't and I REALLY tried to, but didn't want to damage it so I gave up) just carefully look down one of the holes in the bottom of the reservoir you will see a tiny pin hole opening... this is the return hole... it allows brake fluid to return back to the master cylinder after you release the brake lever.... it gets closed up as soon as the piston starts to move so the brake fluid can only go towards the calipers... if it is clogged (by years of not changing your brake fluid and it getting all full of water and gunk) the fluid will not flow back to the master cylinder and the calipers stay under pressure and eventually lock up the wheel..

I had a similar thing happen when I rebuilt my rear master cylinder, except I caused it to happen by not noticing the "dished washer" was upside down when I reassembled the MC and it prevented the return hole from being exposed when the pedal was released... led to rear wheel brake overheating and almost locked up my rear wheel on the highway...

Lesson learned... rebuild with the right kit for your year and pay attention to ALL the parts and their orientation to each other...

Also think about replacing all your brake lines with stainless steel ones now while you are working on the system... it will improve your brakes like no other thing will for the $$$$..

Rich

Thank you all for the info. I think for the prices I've seen on ebay, there are new FMC for only $20 more than a rebuild kit. But I think I will try to rebuild the Rear Master Cylinder myself and see how I do with that !!

Before you start..are both brakes locking up or just one?..if you crack the bleeder valve does the brake release? Doing both of these checks may ID the problem a little better. If one not both calipers it could be a stuck piston or one collapsing brake line, if cracking a bleeder releases it..then return hole in the master most likely issue but collapsed line also a possibility. You can clean the return hole w/o rebuilding the whole master.

Latest posts