Front tire rubbing fender

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year before I shut the 86 Aspy down for refresh, the front tire began to rub the right side of the front fender. I checked everything possible that I thought could be causing it to do that but could not find anything wrong. I blamed it on an aged Maxxis front tire that maybe had somewhat flattened out. The tire is the proper size for the bike 130-90-16. Since I planned to replace the tires before riding it again, I would ahead with the project. Today, I installed the new front tire, a Shinko 130-90-16, properly inflated and it rubs the front fender just like the old tire did. I've checked everything again and still cannot find a problem. Could it be possible that thru 116,000 miles the wind buffet has gradualy reshaped the fender downward on the front or could the plastic gradualy allow the thin sides of the fender to draw inward. I'm at a loss here. If so, I wondered about reshapeing the front fender upward and pushing the sides out after heating with a heat gun, but not heat it enough to hurt the paint. Any suggestions. Here's a pic of the fender with the old tire when I found the problem.
tire rubing.jpg

hmmmmm cant speak anything for the integrity of plastic ..it moves bigtime in outside conditions ...my vote is to try and salvage the fender by fixing it not to rub ...if that gose bad get another one ...at least you tried

I agree with Joe but I would look back at the mounting points they have probably worn and allowing the fender to move position.

Heat gun will probably work but I doubt You can apply enough heat to reshape it without damage to the paint. I've seen a few on ebay for about $35.

O-man: Not on front, got one on the back to carry my lard butt around. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Slab: I'm trying to come up with someway to fix it because I don't want to do any major painting before winter project time gets here. I got some good fenders, there just the wrong color. I read where poorboy or someone reshaped a fairing lower on an alternator conversion to make more room and they said they used a heat gun. Probably be a pretty touch & go job.

You might be able to fashion a brace to fit inside that will spread the fender far enough and let the sun heat and form it.

I noticed the forward end of the fender is slightly off center to the left and the rub is on the right side. I think I'm going to fashion some wooden wedges and use between the rub rail or fender guard to put pressure on it to move the tip sideways to the right, one between the tire and fender to raise it on the front of the fender and one between the sides of the tire and each edge to flare the sides a small amount outward, heat it up with the heat gun and let the pressure move it around and then let it cool in the new shape.